Utah Fossil Locations

lewynn

Hey there everybody,

I'm new here and hope this is the right place to post this. I live in Tooele, Utah and I have a 4 year old nephew who was told by his dad that I hunt "dinosaurs". I told him we would go looking over spring break when my kids are out of school. Anyway, I have a brother who lives in Roosevelt and I thought we could go up in that area to look for "dinosaurs". I've been to the museum out in Vernal and thinks it's pretty awesome. I was wondering if anyone has been out in that area and knows of anyplace we could go to find any kind of fossils.

I'd love to look for trilobites and the museum had a presentation showing plant fossils being found.

Any help with locations or how to go about looking for the elusive "dinosaur" please let me know.

By the way, love the pics from others on this board, they're awesome!

Les

Welcome from Texas! I'm sure someone around here can answer your question.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I don't know where the public sites might be, but here's a link that might lead to something:

http://www.dinosaurdiamond.org/

Be aware that removing vertibrate fossils from Federal land is illegal and carries some pretty stiff penalties!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have hunted in Utah at several locations, and the only one I have junted inthe area you mentioned is the insect/plant material at Bonanza or Cowboy Canyon, south of Dinosaur Colorado, but in Utah.

Thanks Hunter,

I've hunted on Bonanza so I think I can find it, do have any kind of directions that might get me close to an area we can look?

Auspex, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

Les

Well, we're leaving this friday so I just thought I would throw another post in here in case anybody has any directions. I sort of need fairly detailed ones. Like three steps to your left, look right, hit the big rock four times, viola!

Thanks for the help.

Les

Guest N.AL.hunter
Well, we're leaving this friday so I just thought I would throw another post in here in case anybody has any directions. I sort of need fairly detailed ones. Like three steps to your left, look right, hit the big rock four times, viola!

Thanks for the help.

Les

Since you have already hunted at the Bonanza site, I guess you know how to get there. Cowboy Canyon is exactly 14 miles south of Dinosaur on the highway (road) that runs south out of town. It is before you get to Bonanza. There will be a dirt road that goes to your left (used to have a shot up sign that read Cowboy Canyon). You can't miss the dig spot once you head down that dirt road. Again, it is 14 miles south out of Dinosaur Colorado. (I think there is only one road heading that way.

A couple years ago we took our kids to U-dig fossils for trilobites. In a couple hours you will find more fossils than you can carry back. They are located in Delta, UT. Here is their website: U-Dig Fossils

Hey Hunter,

I meant the other hunt, never been fossil hunting out there. I think my brother knows the place though. Thanks for the directions to Cowboy Canyon. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks Jacket. I've been to the U-Dig site. I've been wanting to go to Delta digging for a while.

Thanks a ton.

Les

Archived