Oviraptor Egg - Is This Real

Looking to purchase a dino egg as a gift.

Collecting other memorabilia I know there are lots of fakes and from what I can tell there are a lot in this area as well but have no idea about this so I feel it is much better to ask than get taken.

Attaching 2 pics of the egg that I am looking to purchase.

Thank you!

post-19468-0-86942500-1439950090_thumb.jpg

post-19468-0-31454900-1439950091_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think the egg is a fake, its lost most of the eggshell and probably has had a bit of repair work done to it. The eggshell is where the value and aesthetics usually resides. I'm interested in what others have to say.

I'm very certain it's real.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thank you very much for the feedback on this egg.

You say it lost most of its eggshell, I am assuming the brownish color (outside layer) is the shell.

$1200 still o.k. for something like this?

Have searched the internet and without purchasing something on ebay these are actually more difficult to locate than I had imagined.

It looks real to me as well .....But $1200 is ridicules for this one...I would not even buy this one....not even for $100....Save your money and shop around.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Well I have to agree with nj. When you purchase an egg it's the eggshell and some membrane that makes the egg. Since most eggs are hatched the inside fills with sediment and hardens. When the shell is removed all you have is a cast of the inside. Why you should not pay a lot for this egg.

Thank you very much for the feedback on this egg.

You say it lost most of its eggshell, I am assuming the brownish color (outside layer) is the shell.

$1200 still o.k. for something like this?

Have searched the internet and without purchasing something on ebay these are actually more difficult to locate than I had imagined.

These ones are hard to locate, but $1,200 is overpriced unless this is a huge egg (8 inches or more in length)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

These ones are hard to locate, but $1,200 is overpriced unless this is a huge egg (8 inches or more in length)

Just over 6 inches so it looks like this is not the one then.

Just over 6 inches so it looks like this is not the one then.

Go into on line auction sites and do a search "Fossil Oviraptor Dinosaur Egg" see what pops up.

So, found the seller. This seller has a very good reputation. The reason this priced so high, is because it is unhatched.

So, found the seller. This seller has a very good reputation. The reason this priced so high, is because it is unhatched.

What egg are you referring to?

Well without holding the egg and looking at it closely I would question it being unhatched. Either way IMO, the value of an egg without eggshell is not worth very much.

I'd say to not be worried about it. Again, this is one of the most honest sellers I've seen, I would link, but apparently that is not allowed

I'd say to not be worried about it. Again, this is one of the most honest sellers I've seen...

If you are comfortable with it, then by all means get it; it is a gift for someone you obviously care a lot for, and they will go pleasantly nuts over it! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex on this. It's real, and if you believe the seller, (as do I) then it is priced fairly.

On 8/23/2015 at 3:59 PM, IonRocks said:

I agree with Auspex on this. It's real, and if you believe the seller, (as do I) then it is priced fairly.

I disagree. $1200 is a terrible price for an egg missing most of the shell.

For that hefty price it should look like this:

IMG1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Specs on the egg (again assuming seller is honest)

Over 6 inches

Unhatched

From guangdong province, China

Cretaceous

After some nice searching, on auction sites, online sellers, etc, I have not found a single egg with mostly intact shell for less than $1500

And all of them are hatched. On unhatched eggs, you can see where the shell fell inwards. Also considering that these are no longer being exported, their prices only go up (until China opens back up)

At one point, this price was ridiculous. But now I can't find anything less. I'd be surprised if anyone can

Are you assuming an embryo is present? That's unlikely. If no embryo, then the only difference between "hatched" and "unhatched" is aesthetic, the "unhatched" maintaining roughly its original shape with "hatched" marred by the hatching window. To my eye the loss of the majority of shell is a far more aesthetically challenging flaw than a hatching window. So to me, unless there was convincing imaging evidence of an embryo; it is a very unattractive piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Let me offer an alternative. I know the dealer you are looking at and took a look at his inventory both online and eBay. If you consider a hadrosaur egg you can get something that meets your price point and has a shell around it. It's not a raptor but its still a Dinosaur egg. Something to consider.

Edited by Troodon

Are you assuming an embryo is present? That's unlikely. If no embryo, then the only difference between "hatched" and "unhatched" is aesthetic, the "unhatched" maintaining roughly its original shape with "hatched" marred by the hatching window. To my eye the loss of the majority of shell is a far more aesthetically challenging flaw than a hatching window. So to me, unless there was convincing imaging evidence of an embryo; it is a very unattractive piece.

Having two Oviraptorid eggs of my own, I'd say I would be very pleased to own such an egg, if only because it looks quite different from my fully-shelled ones.

Having two Oviraptorid eggs of my own, I'd say I would be very pleased to own such an egg, if only because it looks quite different from my fully-shelled ones.

Yes, I see. The piece in question might make a pleasing display in the company of more complete pieces. Such a display might serve to illustrate variance in preservation. However, for the collector with a single specimen, I contend that this is a very poor choice. It is in essence, mostly matrix.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Most of my favorite fossils are NOT perfect examples of what the "ideal" representation should be. In my mind, flaws give a certain character to fossils . This is the way I personally see the two eggs shown here. I strongly prefer the look of the weathered egg. With that said, to spend $1200 on a fossil as a gift implies to me the recipient is more likely to be of snolly50s expertise and not just a hobbyist like me. So I am in agreement to look for a more complete egg. Good luck. I am sure the recipient will appreciate your generosity no matter which choice you make

In this case: a hadrosaur seems like a good idea for better displaying an aesthetic piece. To an experienced collector, who is looking for multiple examples, this is a cool piece. Also, I was not assuming an embryo was present, just looking at the fact that this egg is a dud, which makes this piece pretty cool IMO