Oviraptor Egg - Is This Real

I disagree. $1200 is a terrible price for an egg missing most of the shell. For that hefty price it should look like this:

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

Piranha, for an egg like what you are showing I cannot find anything less than double the price but I am gathering the black is the egg shell and that is probably what I should be looking for. There is one on Ebay for $2500 right now that looks similar.

If you or anyone has any suggestions or would like to sell one from your own collections I am all ears.

I was really looking for something that was a true piece, not something that was put together or a rip off/fake as this is far from my area of expertise and dealing with other collectibles there are just so many fakes of everything.

This will be the sole egg (at least for now) and will be added to a small collection of other similar items for her as this is something she wanted. It does not need to be a raptor egg but they seem more desirable.

Thank you for the comments and help, although it seems the value is extremely subjective based on the differing opinions.

Fossil Eggs On Ebay? - Questions & Answers - The Fossil Forum

Review of the content of this Forum post may serve to provide insight into some of the factors influencing the "value" and availability of these fossils. Authentic eggs, especially the more common type commonly attributed to Hadrosaurs, are offered periodically. Caution is advised as absolute fabrications are also seen. Good luck, have fun and post what you find appealing on the Forum to solicit input before purchase. As with this post, there will be differences of opinion, but this scrutiny is your best shield against a well-wrought fantasy piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That page won't load for me; I'll try again in a bit.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice shell on this one; right about 6", too.

It may not be 'unhatched', but it is a very worthy specimen. :thumbsu:

post-423-0-18147100-1440778703_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for your feedback and help with this.

Thanks to you I did go ahead and purchase this egg so your time definitely was not wasted and it was much appreciated.

From the photos the shell appears to have the expected texture. The shape is appropriate for that ilk. There are shell shards visible in the hatching window. I think it looks very nice. I believe I would be proud to own a piece such as this.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice shell on this one; right about 6", too.

It may not be 'unhatched', but it is a very worthy specimen. :thumbsu:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

I almost bought this exact egg but the $2500 asking price was a bit much. I got him down to $2k but still a bit pricey.

I almost bought this exact egg but the $2500 asking price was a bit much. I got him down to $2k but still a bit pricey.

Way pricey. These guys can come at $1,000.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hamptons Doc, yes the exact same egg and got it for around the same price.

Andy if you can find them at $1,000 I would definitely buy more as they just are not available especially in this price range.

I may have overpaid a little but after researching and trying to find these, reputable dealers asking 4 figures for much less of a specimen I feel good about the purchase and positive the wife will love it as she has wanted one for quite a while.

Andy if you can find them at $1,000 I would definitely buy more as they just are not available especially in this price range.

I may have overpaid a little but after researching and trying to find these, reputable dealers asking 4 figures for much less of a specimen I feel good about the purchase and positive the wife will love it as she has wanted one for quite a while.

Now you're making me wish I bought it! Congrats on your purchase. I'm still looking for a raptor egg for myself!

True. They can come at $1,000. Doesn't mean they are just available like that though. Takes luck to find one.

And most important is the fact you feel good about the purchase, and that your wife loves it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!