Plant From Llewellyn Fm. Coal Beds In St. Clair, Pa

SueB

I am a quarry geologist in PA and rarely need to identify fossils. However, I found this cool one that I just can't ID from publications if google searches. It was found in a quarry near Pottsville and St. Clair, PA. It is from the base of the Llewellyn Formation. I found some photos of fossils that look similar but usually each "scale" (not sure of the proper term) is more like an inch, but as you can see by the penny in the picture these are much smaller. Help!

post-19461-0-30067400-1440011912_thumb.jpg

Welcome.

It looks similar to a piece of Lepidodendron, or "Scale tree".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidodendron

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Possibly a small branch from Lepidodendron, maybe L. obovatum?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I was thinking small branch of Lepidodendron as well.

Also compare with the fossil pictures here.

Regards,

EDIT: Have you tried comparisons with the plates HERE?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you with us. :yay-smiley-1:

Ps. if you are in the St. Clair area, is the Quarry still open to fossil hunting, current rumors is that it has been closed. Any idea.?

The quarry I got this at is owned by the company i work for, and is an active site. It's only been around since 2008 or so. We are pretty friendly to fossil/gem hunters at our quarries, but with all the proper plans and waivers (of course).

Thanks all. We shied away from Lepidodendron because the initial photos I looked at all seemed to be a much larger scale. But many of these images, and the fact that it could be a small branch, lead me to agree with this genus.

Archived