Bone For I D Please

old bones

This bone was found in Sacha's Merritt Island, Florida Pleistocene matrix. I don't know much about bones and would like to know where in the skeleton it would be located. I am hoping that the one complete end is enough for an ID. Thanks for looking.

post-13648-0-75787600-1440029549_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Anuran (frog or toad) humerus.

Wow, how cool is that? :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice find Julianna, and not a cotton rat! The bones from this matrix look polished and your photos really do them justice.

Pretty small limb bone. Rodent possibly? Waiting on experts from the area for a better Id.

Thanks for looking, runner64. I am pleased that it turns out to be other than rodent at this point. :)

Looks like a great Indian war club, if larger.

Ha! Ziggie. That is just what I called it when I showed it to my husband and Ancient Bones. It really does look like one. :)

Thank you Rich :D I am so enjoying finding amphibian bones! And now I know what a humorous humerus bone looks like.

Wow, how cool is that? :wub:

I know...what fun.:)

Nice find Julianna, and not a cotton rat! The bones from this matrix look polished and your photos really do them justice.

Thanks John. They do look polished. It is amazing how these tiny, thin bones have managed to survive in this nice condition.

From the research that I have done, and most especially, from this website, am I correct in thinking that my Anuran humerus is from a female?

http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-enigmatic-pleistocene-amphibians-of.html

from the above website;

post-13648-0-88350800-1440247699_thumb.png

post-13648-0-44558900-1440247718_thumb.png

Edited by old bones

Old Bones: you may well be right, but we'd have to id the species first, and then compare it with known gender individuals. I don't have the comparative collections anymore to do that.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Old Bones: you may well be right, but we'd have to id the species first, and then compare it with known gender individuals. I don't have the comparative collections anymore to do that.

Good enough. Thanks for the guidance Rich.