Show Me Your Best Dinosaur Fossils!

Raptor Lover

Runner64 and sixgill pete, nice teeth!

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

It's still a beautiful egg, is Elongatoolithus a type of egg? Haven't heard it before.

The classification of dinosaur eggs is based on the structure of the egg shells viewed in thin section via microscope and Elongatoolithus is one of the types.

On 8/20/2015 at 9:02 PM, Troodon said:

The classification of dinosaur eggs is based on the structure of the egg shells viewed in thin section via microscope and Elongatoolithus is one of the types.

Aye, this is it.

On 8/20/2015 at 8:39 PM, Runner64 said:
It's still a beautiful egg, is Elongatoolithus a type of egg? Haven't heard it before.

To add on, the common Hadrosaur eggs you see often are really Dendroolithus sp. and the Segnosaur/Therizinosaur eggs are Spheroolithus sp.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Ok thanks for the clarification troodon, not normally use to eggs.

Andy, do dealers do this as a marketing gig? Trying to put an Id on something unidentifiable.

Ok thanks for the clarification troodon, not normally use to eggs.

Andy, do dealers do this as a marketing gig? Trying to put an Id on something unidentifiable.

All the time. It's far, far easier to sell a "Oviraptor egg" than a "random unidentified theropod egg" to the common buyer. Unless of course, said seller tries the reverse marketing gimmick and say, "Unknown theropod egg! Very rare, not one of those common oviraptor ones!"

In all honesty though, I agree fully with the usage of dubious-common names for eggs. When I go to schools, it's tough to tell the kids, "This here is an Elongatoolithus egg. We call it that because we can't really identify the species, hence we assign an oogenera to the fossil."

It doesn't work; I lose their interest immediately.

Instead I go, "Yo kids you like Jurassic World? This is an Oviraptor egg! Sounds familiar? That's cause it is related to the famous Velociraptor! Who here likes Blue?" *half the room raises their hand* "Me too! Isn't she awesome? Imagine if she hatched outta an egg like this too!" *all the kids push their way forward, wanting to take a closer look*

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

' Best' has several meanings.

Those of us fortunate to live in areas of Formations with Dino fossils most likely have a different concept of 'best '. I get more of a thrill finding an obscure micro vertebrate tooth than a Tyrannosaurid tooth.

Well said, Canadawest...but where did I the pix of the T rex I found? (heck the pix are on muy work computer). Speaking of which, has anyone heard from cheleandher rex...?

Thanks Andy nice explanation. As a collector it's frustrating to see dealers do this but for your purpose it makes sense. I imagine you would lose little kids' interest fairly quickly haha it would be fairly difficult to explain to them what the egg actually is then.

All the time. It's far, far easier to sell a "Oviraptor egg" than a "random unidentified theropod egg" to the common buyer. Unless of course, said seller tries the reverse marketing gimmick and say, "Unknown theropod egg! Very rare, not one of those common oviraptor ones!"

Andy well said and agree in the end it's an easier sell.

This is a much bigger issue with the online sale of theropod teeth where dealers have a reluctance to go with "theropod or raptor" especially with Moroccan material. Some do and I applaud them. I've talked with many dealers at shows and they tell me both novice and seasoned buyers want to see names.

Well said, Canadawest...but where did I the pix of the T rex I found? (heck the pix are on muy work computer). Speaking of which, has anyone heard from cheleandher rex...?

I hear you guys and I love small exotic material and prefer that to a 1-1 1/2" tyrannosaurid tooth. But I'll say this there is nothing more exhilarating with the super rush that follows than popping out a big tyrannosaurid tooth.

I hear you guys and I love small exotic material and prefer that to a 1-1 1/2" tyrannosaurid tooth. But I'll say this there is nothing more exhilarating with the super rush that follows than popping out a big tyrannosaurid tooth.

I get the biggest rush from collecting a few fragments of jaw or skull material...get home and try to piece them together. Will something take shape? It might be a couple centimetres of hadrosaur jaw with a few teeth, etc,

On the theropod side...phalanges. Especially sleek raptor ones.

• 3 weeks later...

My Spinosaurus Foot Claw is probably up there among my favorites. Not as impressive as some of my other fossils, but it is from one of my favorite dinosaurs. I guess my other would be my Atlasaurus Femur. Again not the most impressive, but from a fantastic dinosaur.

Wow...!!! That Atlasaurus femur is going to be my next obsession! That would look great in my living room!!!

Here's some of my favourite Pachy material. Two domes....a little and a big guy. Old photos and updated with better camera. The bigger one was a lucky fund...literally kicked it on the trek back to the Jeep.

post-19254-0-01378300-1442026598_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-97892900-1442026634_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-71858900-1442026647_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

My Spinosaurus teeth. Daughter-in-law is a 1st grade teacher. Was going to let her borrow them for show & tell but I’m not sure if 7 year olds are ready for that. Still gives me nightmares that a meat eater that big was once real.

image.thumb.jpeg.a768b9855b97ec1cb78b3598fdcd80fc.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1