8/20/15: Few Things From Cretaceous North Tx

John S.

Found a few decent things this morning around Dallas. We've had a trace of rain in 45 days so it's been slow. Got a mosasaur jaw fragment, articulated fish vertebrae in matrix, and a prehistoric arrowhead from 700-1200 A.D.

post-13580-0-38247400-1440118973_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-60214300-1440118983_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-18261700-1440118994_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Wow. A fossil specimen with articulated vertebrae! Anything articulated is special..gives some context.

And a 1996 quarter dollar...just kidding. Nice quality point...is that obsidian? Are you dating it from the style?

Nice finds, like the verts and always finding a complete point makes for a winning hunt----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

One of the very few true arrowheads I've seen on TFF. ;) Nice finds, John.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks a lot guys! Yes very rare to find a true arrowhead for me as well. I've found 30-40 points this year and this is my first. All the rest being dart points and tools. I dated it based on the bow and arrow being introduced around 700 A.D. And my field book. Looks like an Alba point.

North Central Texas

I've found 30-40 points this year and this is my first.

Woah. 30-40 in a year! Just how often do you go hunting? I'm kinda jealous. The arrow head you found is so small and smaller than the one I found a couple weeks ago. To be honest I never realized they could be that small until I found mine and went researching. Looking in books and online most of the pictures have no reference that I have seen and I was going on memory of the larger ones I had seen in person.

Yes I do go quite often. I'm self employed and have spots close to my house so I take advantage. I've gotten pretty hooked on the artifact hunting after finding one by accident last year. Took many hours to develop the eye and the understanding on when and where to look. I got a Texas artifact book and it helps a lot. This site is also good: http://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/Texas_Search.html

This is most of my stuff from this year

post-13580-0-69145000-1440379103_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

I've also learned that 80% of points found in TX are actually dart points which are much larger than the actual arrowheads which are small and very thin. A lot of folks call them birdies. The general public calls them all arrowheads for simplistic reasons I guess.

North Central Texas

Archived