Does Anyone Know Anything About Abelisaurs?

Raptor Lover

Does anyone know anything about Abelisaurs? Where did they live? Are unidentified Moroccan theropod teeth likely to be Abelisaur related?

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Abelisaurs were widely distributed in the southern continents in late Cretaceous times, although some entered Europe. They appear to have been ecologically associated with titanosaurs. The Moroccan teeth are abelisaurid.

Prob

Does anyone know anything about Abelisaurs? Where did they live? Are unidentified Moroccan theropod teeth likely to be Abelisaur related?

Probably not related to an Abelisaurus since they are very small teeth. The teeth they are finding have the characteristics of an Abelisaurid but thats about all we know that's been published. A partial maxilla with 3 teeth was found ( 2005 ) that had teeth more comparable in size and shape to those Abelisaurids found in South America.

Did you see my post on a much younger Abelisaurid in Morocco. Now that tooth looks more like Abelisaurus.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56780-maastrichtian-moroccan-theropod-did-you-know/

Abelisaurs were widely distributed in the southern continents in late Cretaceous times, although some entered Europe. They appear to have been ecologically associated with titanosaurs. The Moroccan teeth are abelisaurid.

Exactly what I was going to say. They had small heads compared to their body size. They also had small arms, even smaller than tyrannosaurs.

Prob

Probably not related to an Abelisaurus since they are very small teeth. The teeth they are finding have the characteristics of an Abelisaurid but thats about all we know that's been published. A partial maxilla with 3 teeth was found ( 2005 ) that had teeth more comparable in size and shape to those Abelisaurids found in South America.

Did you see my post on a much younger Abelisaurid in Morocco. Now that tooth looks more like Abelisaurus.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56780-maastrichtian-moroccan-theropod-did-you-know/

Yeah I just read your post about the Abelisaurid. Very informative. So what would be the best guess that these Deltadromeus Moroccan teeth can be related to?

The teeth that most sellers label as Deltadromeus.

Well I've seen sellers label several different types of teeth as Deltadromeus. There are the small ones that look like Abelisaurids and then there are bigger ones that are in the 2-2 1/2" range. In the end until we see a paper published showing Deltadromeus teeth who knows. We don't even know how to place this critter. Sereno placed it has a Coelurosaur some people think it's a Ceratosaur while others think it's something else. To comment right now is pure speculation.

• I found this Informative 1