Bone Id (If It Is A Bone...)

David in Japan

Hi,

As I described in my trip report last week (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56838-kyushu-fukuoka-pref-ashiya-machi-japan/) I went to Ashiya machi and found what looks like to me a bone.

The outcrop is from oligocene period and the matrix is made of sandstone.

Found fossil were bivalve, shark teeth, and turittella which suggest a sea environment.

Could you help me to ID this fossil ?

I will say fossil because I do not even know if this is a bone as it would be the first time I found one.

post-19424-0-92394700-1440237757_thumb.jpgpost-19424-0-10987800-1440237771_thumb.jpgpost-19424-0-84878000-1440237778_thumb.jpgpost-19424-0-76318200-1440237786_thumb.jpg

I read that at this place was discovered sort of big penguin called Plotopterum and sea mammal like seals.

I read somewhere that birds bones and mamal bones were quite different so even if we cannot put any ID on this maybe, I still have the hope that someone can tell me if it's a bird or a mammal.

I am waiting forward to reading your suggestion and post.

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

I don't think that's bone... It's something geological

Edited by edd
  • I found this Informative 1

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

So no fossil there according to you. Ok, I was mislead by the brown aspect, and the regular form. Thank you.

Sure looks like it could be bone to me. If you could get a closer shot, or some more pixels, of an end grain it might be helpful.

I humidified it so details and color become a little bit visible and I took i little bit more closer pictures of it.

I hope these pictures are a little bit more helpful.

post-19424-0-46762800-1440329073_thumb.jpgpost-19424-0-02522800-1440329077_thumb.jpgpost-19424-0-96595500-1440329079_thumb.jpg

These are better images, but still inconclusive. To me, it just seems to be more "one with the rock" than a bone might be.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, thank you very much.