Another One From The Land Of Cheese & Windmills

Seaforth

Unwordly rare! Found a couple days ago at my fossil hunting grounds just outside Amsterdam

Usually only tails & frags but this time this little critter popped out of the rocks which makes it my 3rd ever more or less complete trilo in over 3 years of hunting that place several times a week!

Still have a hard time believing it :D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D:D

post-16935-0-37720000-1440359848_thumb.jpg

It's beautiful! And love the coin!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

That is NICE!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Thanks guys!

I am pretty sure the trilo is complete and partially hiding on the left side.

But I will NOT prep it for fear of braking it as the rock is fragile.

And since its the 3rd I ever found in more or less in good nick in 3 years of fanatically hunting that site I will most definately drown myself in the bath tub (or throw myself into a kitchen knife) if I ruin this hard won complete trilobite in an attempt to "prep it". :D

Sweet find! Are You going to prep it? Would love to see it all cleaned up!

Ynot

PS You beat Me to it. ( I think if You use a pin vice and go real slow You would like the results.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Well done; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Amazing trilobite! Your persistence and hard work payed off. Three whole years for that sucker?? Worth the wait if you ask me! :)

Thank you for sharing!

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Nice find! Congrats! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Great find Pat, congrats! : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I always tell people im fossil hunting with that the right rock can make your whole day. I think in this case the right rock has made your whole year! Wooooop!!! Woooooop!!!!

RB

I always tell people im fossil hunting with that the right rock can make your whole day. I think in this case the right rock has made your whole year! Wooooop!!! Woooooop!!!!

RB

Oh yeah, find of the year most definately!! :D:D

Great job Pat,

There is probably more where that came from :P

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Well done, Pat! :D

Wonderful specimen. B)

Thanks for sharing your good luck story with us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice trilobite. I appreciate your fear of prep work but with a micro-abraider and a skilled prep job you would be please. I collect triarthrus becki here in Vermont and the matrix and trilobite are the same hardness.The trick is to practice on some of your partials until you get the hang of working with the matrix. It took me awhile but now I can get those trarthrus out without destroying them.

I may have missed it, but what age is it?

It is an early Carboniferous (Tournaisian) trilobite.

Those rocks are from quarries in Belgium. they use those boulders near Amsterdam to consolidate river shorelines.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Nice trilobite. I appreciate your fear of prep work but with a micro-abraider and a skilled prep job you would be please. I collect triarthrus becki here in Vermont and the matrix and trilobite are the same hardness.The trick is to practice on some of your partials until you get the hang of working with the matrix. It took me awhile but now I can get those trarthrus out without destroying them.

Thanks! Indeed that would be a wise way to start however I like trilo's that are still partially hidden in their matrix somehow.

Besides its only the 3rd in this shape I have EVER found in 3 years of fanatically hunting several times a week so I am a bit carefull with my very few & far between complete trilo's. I would most cerntainly go nuts if I ruin this one :D

• 3 weeks later...

Next time I go to BCM I'll send a few unprepped trilos your way, then, Seaforth :)

As aforestated, a thrilling find!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Archived