Camera Suggestions For Fossil Picture-taking?

fossilover

Hi, All! Back from Lee Creek, and finished cleaning the few fossils I DID find. Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that I need to invest in a new camera. I've been trying to take pictures of my fossils, but whenever I get close up the shot gets blurry. I've also tried my scanner, but it sucks, too. I want to purchase a camera that brings out the detail in close shots. I bought my camera back in 2004 - needless to say it is quite outdated in comparison to all the newer technology out there now. It's a Canon, but with only 3.2 megapix. I'm sure that's PART of the problem. I am looking for a camera thats not too expensive, as in under $400. It should also be useful for taking family and scenic pics (because I can't afford to fork out $400 twice, you know!) It would also be great if it had a waterproof feature, but it's not necessary. The main thing here is being able to get detailed close-up shots. And while I'm at it, can anyone offer any tips on taking pictures of fossils?

I was just looking at Canon cameras in Best Buy and they have some for around $150 that are 6 or 8 MP. I have a Canon Powershot G9 12 MP and I'm thinking about getting a cheaper Canon to take on my collecting trips.

Hi, All! Back from Lee Creek, and finished cleaning the few fossils I DID find. Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that I need to invest in a new camera. I've been trying to take pictures of my fossils, but whenever I get close up the shot gets blurry. I've also tried my scanner, but it sucks, too. I want to purchase a camera that brings out the detail in close shots. I bought my camera back in 2004 - needless to say it is quite outdated in comparison to all the newer technology out there now. It's a Canon, but with only 3.2 megapix. I'm sure that's PART of the problem. I am looking for a camera thats not too expensive, as in under $400. It should also be useful for taking family and scenic pics (because I can't afford to fork out $400 twice, you know!) It would also be great if it had a waterproof feature, but it's not necessary. The main thing here is being able to get detailed close-up shots. And while I'm at it, can anyone offer any tips on taking pictures of fossils?

you will find that 400 bucks buys a heck of a lot more camera than it did in '04. although it costs more in the long run, i prefer a camera that uses standard batteries so i can carry as many as i wish on a trip and don't have to worry about a proprietary, rechargeable battery running down when i'm out and about. i also like a large amount of data storage so i never have to watch the number of pictures i take.

i have tended to like sony and canon products, but i've always tried to not have too good a camera because i want to be able to blame it for any deficit in picture quality, rather than having to blame myself. it's worked out so far...

I just bought a Cannon Power shot A590. It takes wonderful close up picts with its micro feature and I bought a good outdoor camera case for it. It cost me about $120 at Wall-Mart. It has a lot of features and is easy to use which is nice.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I was just looking at Canon cameras in Best Buy and they have some for around $150 that are 6 or 8 MP. I have a Canon Powershot G9 12 MP and I'm thinking about getting a cheaper Canon to take on my collecting trips.

Thanks a bunch! I will have to go down there and look around.

you will find that 400 bucks buys a heck of a lot more camera than it did in '04. although it costs more in the long run, i prefer a camera that uses standard batteries so i can carry as many as i wish on a trip and don't have to worry about a proprietary, rechargeable battery running down when i'm out and about. i also like a large amount of data storage so i never have to watch the number of pictures i take.

i have tended to like sony and canon products, but i've always tried to not have too good a camera because i want to be able to blame it for any deficit in picture quality, rather than having to blame myself. it's worked out so far...

I agree 100%. I always hated those "special" batteries. I tend (purposely) to buy too much memory to err on the side of caution. Learned that lesson the hard way.

I just bought a Cannon Power shot A590. It takes wonderful close up picts with its micro feature and I bought a good outdoor camera case for it. It cost me about $120 at Wall-Mart. It has a lot of features and is easy to use which is nice.

Oooh. Me likey!! The prices just keep getting better. At this rate I can get a camera AND an Airscribe!!!

I lost my $400 camera to Ike and am looking to replace it barefootgirl you just found my replacement.

Thanks

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Just make sure whatever you get has a macro mode.

"Get in touch with your inner tulip!"

post-423-1238376132.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The Cannon Powershot A590 really is a wonderfull little camera. I did alot of research before I bought mine and this camera consistently came up on the top of the list every time. The camera is not bulky but not to small either, I really didn't want a real small camera. You can buy a bigger memory card for it, the one I bought holds 900 picts on it and cost about $25. When I got it home I popped the batteries in and was taking pictures almost immediately, It was just that easy. I really do think for the price its a great deal. For a camera case I bought the Body Glove brand and its great for outdoors and has space for batteries and Ive even kept sharks teeth in the little zipper pouch on the inside. Well, hope this helps you out and good luck on your next adventure. Yes, it has a macro feature on it.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest solius symbiosus

Most cameras today employ a CCD sensor. I think that there are only couple of manufacturers of these chips... with the majority of them coming from Kodak. There are probably cameras that still use a CMOS chip, but I haven't seen them lately. So, basically, they are all going to produce the same images. The differences are in the bells and whistles, so find one that you are comfortable with, and has the options that you need. Otherwise, they are all the same.

Oh man, I laughed pretty hard right there. xD

I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS and I absolutely love it. It takes amazing macro images. It's not as new as it used to be but you can get it at a great price now.

And the frikken batteries it came with lasted me 13 months!

I bought a Nikon coolpix 4800 several years ago for under 250 bucks. Im sure you can get one for less now. I chose this camera for is low mega pixels, 4mp and a button you can choose to make it 1.5mp, and it also has a 0.4 macro. I can take a picture of just about anything with this camera. I think cameras with huge mega pixels are for blowing up pictures or printing them, both of with I dont do. Good luck

RB

Oh, in retail stores this camera would have set me back about 350 bucks, but thanks to the internet I saved myself 100 bucks. I think it was 6 dollars for shipping?

"So, basically, they are all going to produce the same images. The differences are in the bells and whistles, so find one that you are comfortable with, and has the options that you need. Otherwise, they are all the same."

actually, there are huge differences between the quality of pictures of various digital cameras. the problem is that the subject is too big to discuss here. those expecting high performance should research all aspects of the issue. all pixels are not even created equal, so some cameras with lower advertised resolution might actually take better pictures than some cameras with higher resolution. the number of focusing points matters a lot, as does the camera's ability to autofocus in low light, which has been a huge issue with digitals. the quality of the lens is a big deal, and some are carefully ground optical glass and some are plastic. and the manufacturers make better image sensors for the more expensive cameras than they do for the low-end point-and-shoot cameras. the amount of optical zoom is important too. as much as fossilers love the macro setting, sometimes i've wanted a bit of fill-in flash and you can't use that if you're too close, so backing up a bit and zooming in and turning the flash on was the technique.

The digital SLRs from canon and nikon dominate the high-end market, in my opinion, and there are numerous reasons why the pros feel they need to cough up twenty grand for a camera body and a couple of lens for a camera with almost the same advertised resolution as one costing a couple of hundred bucks

i'd read a number of reviews, googling things like "best point-and-shoot", "best digital camera", etc. before plopping down money. there are a number of techie web sites that review equipment.

The last time I did that, I had to pay a $500 fine.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

"So, basically, they are all going to produce the same images. The differences are in the bells and whistles, so find one that you are comfortable with, and has the options that you need. Otherwise, they are all the same."

The digital SLRs from canon and nikon dominate the high-end market, in my opinion, and there are numerous reasons why the pros feel they need to cough up twenty grand for a camera body and a couple of lens for a camera with almost the same advertised resolution as one costing a couple of hundred bucks

We use our cameras as part of our profession as well as for hobby shots. There is a lot more to image quality than the digital size just as there was in pre-digital cameras using the same film. The Lens being the most important.

We have a Nikon Colpix 5400 and a Canon SLR with Macro lens. With the Canon SLR we can take 20 photos in 5 seconds of a bee taking off from a flower, etc. ..all crystal sharp. In fact, we coul take a thousand high resolution photos without recharging the battery.

The Coolpix, in contrast, is perfect for tossing in the pack and taking fossil photos in the Badlands and so on. Good quality shots, light weight and very durable. Probably all the camera most fossil keeners need unless doing high resolution macro photography. I'm not a very skilled photographer and the Coolpix, along with Photoshop makes even my photos look good. The Canon SLR can make me a decent photographer often even without Photoshop or other manipulation...clear, correct colours, good contrast and so on....often just needs cropping.

Try going to a photo wed site like www.dcresource.com ,they give revieiws and more

on just about every camera. I don't care what anyone says I love my Pentax K100D

you need macro setting for close ups.

I have a sony but to be honest, I do not like it. It was a good camera but I wanted more, so I just recently (last month) up graded to a Nikon D90 with about 5 different lenses. I have been playing around with it and I am very impressed with it. Now the price was big enough to choke a six pack of yaks but hey, I like it and I need to learn this thing before my cruise in November!!!!!!

Here are some pics that i jsut took with the Nikon D90 on jsut the auto setting.

DaytonaRam.jpg

Charger.jpg

GIbrkt2.jpg

Daytona.jpg

DaytonaRT.jpg

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I just got a Pentax Optio W60. I like it a lot. Has lots of automatic settings including macro and macro 1cm. The key feature that led me to this camera is that it is waterproof. Only to 13 feet, but I know if it is sitting on the seat in my boat that no real harm can be done to it. I can also get pics of the kids splashing around in the river. Takes underwater photos and video.

I wish it used regular batteries.

I got it on ebay. Paid $215.00 It came with camera, battery and charger, 2Gb memory stick, and protective rubber skin. The skin is great, and helps prevent scratches.

Pentax Optio W60

beat me to it. I was going to suggest the pentax w60.

I've always had sony and now canon, don't care for lower end nikon

hey, aeromike, i'm thinkin' you're probably violatin' some even-distribution-of-toys regs. but what i really wanted to know was, do you have a padded case for the d90 and lenses so they don't get banged up on the floorboards when you punch it to go wheels up before the end of STOL roads in them orange machines?

I use a Pentax Optio S10. It was around $230 and gives me great results. It has a macro and a super macro feature. The first thing I learned with this camera was that I needed a tripod to use the super macro! Holding the camera still and having proper lighting is at least as important as the type of camera you choose if not more so.

post-281-1238548978_thumb.jpg

post-281-1238548995_thumb.jpgpost-281-1238549007_thumb.jpg

post-281-1238549020_thumb.jpg

Before you spend any money, make sure your technique is sound. Try taking a close up in macro mode with good lighting and a tripod. If possilble, use some shade cloth outside as a diffuser, or pick a shady spot during mid day. I like cloudy days for macro-photography. If your images still come out blurry, you probably do need a better camera. I have found that most blurry close-ups are the result of camerashake and low light. The lower the light, the longer the shutter is held open, increacing the chances that camera shake will become an issue. The first two images here are taken with a Finepix S3000 with 3.2 megapixels.

desertmarigold.jpg

oraclecoral.jpg

This image was taken with an Olympus D130 1.3 megapixals.

d130cactusflower.jpg

Walt