Joelshack85

Help Identify If This A Fossil And What It Is If So!

Joelshack85

Hello

I think that I have found a possible fossil while on vacation in Arkansas. I found it in a river called Buffalo river. I have tried the natural museum in new York but they were not able to help. I thought that this may be a good way to help identify. When the rock is wet you can see details and skin layers and possible head structures.

post-19525-0-60247700-1440516471_thumb.jpg

post-19525-0-45990400-1440516495_thumb.jpg

post-19525-0-99691800-1440516515_thumb.jpg

post-19525-0-45080900-1440516537_thumb.jpg

post-19525-0-20202000-1440516563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joelshack85

jgcox

photos would help

JohnJ

Hello

I think that I have found a possible fossil while on vacation in Arkansas. I found it in a river called Buffalo river. I have tried the natural museum in new York but they were not able to help. I thought that this may be a good way to help identify. When the rock is wet you can see details and skin layers and possible head structures.

Hope you had a good vacation. This doesn't appear to be a fossil. It looks more like a piece of sandstone with a suggestive banding. What did the people at the museum in New York say?

Joelshack85

The people at the museum said they were no sure what it was. He did not want to say if it was a fossil or not.He did lean more to it not being one though. The thing about this is when you add water to it details come out and are easier to see. I will try to get some better photos of this.

JohnJ

I see the "details" you are referring to and sometimes things just look like stuff they are not. It happens all the time when you start picking up rocks. ;)

post-420-0-39622700-1440524073_thumb.jpgpost-420-0-15419400-1440524074_thumb.jpg

Joelshack85

Thanks for your responses. One more question if it is banding would it go all the way through the rock or only a few layers deep?

JohnJ

Thanks for your responses. One more question if it is banding would it go all the way through the rock or only a few layers deep?

That's a random characteristic within rock layers and another level of randomness in what piece of rock has broken from the parent layer.

Auspex

Mineral inclusions can do either.

Joelshack85

Again thank you for your responses and time.

Joelshack85

I have got some new feed back on this one. Possibly from the Mississippian era and could be a Calamite. Any other thoughts on this?

Fossildude19

I have got some new feed back on this one. Possibly from the Mississippian era and could be a Calamite. Any other thoughts on this?

Not Calamites sp. There is nothing in the item that points me in the direction of calamites - no nodes, no vertical striations.

The rock looks more like metamorphic rock than sedimentary rock to me.

I think it is mineral staining.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Joelshack85

Hey thank's Tim for your response. I was kind of thinking the same. I honestly think it looks more like tetrapods than anything but again my knowledge in this is from Google research. Thanks again for your time.