Jaw With Teeth

garyc

Gary, you've done everything possible to have the authorities take it if they wanted it, they don't want it ,it's not new enough to raise concern of foul play. No historical value to the museums, so it is yours. Put an Id on it, your research into it, and place it in your collection. I think it is a very important collection piece.

Or you can take it back to where you found it and re-bury it.

Edited by ZiggieCie

I have 206 human bones and have never felt creepy about it either ;)

Wow, I have 207 now. My first 206 have never felt creepy, but as I get older they're gettin' a little creaky.

Ok. So, based on your observation of the presence and position of the various foramen, are you able to propose where my jaw may fit in chronologically?

Also, is there a relatively definitive point in time that separates ancestor from modern human?

No hominins other than Homo sapiens sapiens have ever inhabited North America, so that makes IDing your specimen pretty easy. It's "modern" Homo sapiens, and almost certainly younger than 10-14 Ka (the exact date at which people crossed Beringia is a bit of a debate, but certainly no older than 15 ka and definitely by 10 ka).

• 4 years later...

They have now discovered evidence of earlier ancestors in North America (since 2015). Wanted to follow up on this because it is intriguing to me :)

Hey Harry - this is definitely human. A walrus mandible looks like this, and has much thicker rami and a V-shape.

image.png.21802c2f164cbe2692069384722cc5e9.png

• I found this Informative 1