Possible Trace Fossil? Any Ideas?

WilliamB

It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I've enclosed a few photos of a recent find. I'm thinking it could be some type of trace fossil, but I'm definitely not certain. Any ideas as to what it could be? If even a fossil at all?

post-13343-0-43076300-1440567871_thumb.jpg

post-13343-0-97184100-1440567875_thumb.jpg

post-13343-0-66179700-1440567879_thumb.jpg

I think that rock is a piece of granite, that’s a rock of volcanic origin (magma) it cannot contain fossils.

The trace can be of mechanical or geological origin.

Could you post a picture where we can see the structure of the rock, just to be sure.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

It seems likely that this is a mold of a stone that was part of the formation being intruded by magma. In southern Maine granite with these fossilized rocks (not true fossils of coarse) in it is relatively common.

impression of a clam shell or plant in micaceous siltstone? If this is from Kentucky I don't think there is anything but sedimentary rocks in the state (but could be wrong)

impression of a clam shell or plant in micaceous siltstone? If this is from Kentucky I don't think there is anything but sedimentary rocks in the state (but could be wrong)

I agree that the matrix could be micaceous siltstone, but am not sure whether the feature is an impression or a clast.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I reconize the rock it is Pennsylvanian age sandstone, it is from a fluvial origin and the odd clast in it is a clay clast. There is probably a lot of organic debris in it.

Kentucky is 99% sedimentary. There is two locations that have igneous dikes, one in Elliott County and one in Western Kentucky in the Fluorite District.

Thanks for all the replies. I love reading all of the different input everyone provides. The area this is from is made up of mostly sandstone. I've found a decent amount of plant fossils in the area. Its really interesting how you can drive about an hour to the west and nearly everything you find is limestone. Kentucky has some amazing geological features.