Is This A Real Chinese Lobster Fossil?

lone5wolf117

Too hard to tell from the pictures provided.

Not enough detail to tell - too blurry.

Take the pictures outside, in daylight, and please get a view from directly about the fossil.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Hard to tell from those photos. Doesn't look quite right? Appears to have been colored?

RB

I cannot determine the authenticity, but I think paint is involved as an enhancement at least. This is not in and of itself a terrible thing, though some like their fossils unembellished. Now, if it is a carved and painted work of artifice, that's another thing. Really close examination is needed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Like the others have said its hard to tell from the photos. Is the item in your possession? I would be very cautious unless you know the sellers expertise and creditability.

Attached for comparison is an authentic example of a prolific crayfish from the Yixian Formation: Cricoidoscelosus aethus

IMG1.jpg

Chang, M., Chen, P., Wang, Y., Wang, Y., & Miao, D. (2003)
The Jehol Biota: The emergence of feathered dinosaurs, beaked birds and flowering plants.
Shanghai Scientific & Technical Publishers, 208 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'll echo what everyone has said; the color looks a tad too good.

Mind you, if it comes with good details like lines on the feelers or "grains" on the pincers, then a deep, dark color is okay.

I've had both two good and poorly preserved lobsters from Yinxuan formation of China. I'm just assuming based off the photo, but yours look like it has poor details but was enhanced with paint. It's best to see this specimen upclose to get a better diagnosis.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Like the others have said its hard to tell from the photos. Is the item in your possession? I would be very cautious unless you know the sellers expertise and creditability.

Nope its not in my possession

Archived