Morocco Mosasaur Tooth In Matrix

Looking to get some thoughts on this purchase I recently made... $30 US, anything look faked or dolled up about it? Supposedly not restored, just stabilized. Thanks in advance!

post-19538-0-13429000-1440693745_thumb.jpg

post-19538-0-56888600-1440693745_thumb.jpg

post-19538-0-97613600-1440693745_thumb.jpg

post-19538-0-63133100-1440693746_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The tooth is real, but the matrix is possibly fake.

Not sure the tooth is complete under the matrix, but it is a nice looking display piece as is.

Regards,

EDIT: Have a look at this link.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Pictures are a bit blurry. It looks like it could be ok bu the tip is buried, which sometimes indicates it is broken or missing so was covered back up. If you could get a few clearer pictures I can give you a better idea of it being worked on or not.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

As Tim said, the tooth is real. Actually the matrix looks better than that seen on most fabricated pieces. That is, bone shards are seen randomly throughout and it doesn't have the odd, symmetrical "loaf shape" often seen. Instead the matrix displays angles and lines rather than a shaped smoothness. If you are adventurous, soak a small corner in water. My exposure to fabricated matrix revealed it has a sharp, garden soil odor when wet. "Real" matrix will have an odor, but it is closer to wet clay than freshly turned, organic rich dirt. Caution: the fabricated matrix is extremely hydrophillic and will dissolve away, if saturated. The natural matrix is also absorbent to a lesser degree, so care should be taken not to soak the material. Again. if you're feeling lucky, take a dental pick or carbide needle in a pin vise to the areas showing bone fragments. What's there? Have fun.

sseth and Troodon added great comments, as I was two-finger typing. To follow-up I will add, if it was my piece, I would expose the tip while I was digging around. The issue there is, if it's contrived and the matrix is hiding something - well then the piece may not display as well after you monkey with it.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Like to echo what the others have said. Need clear up pictures. Resto is not the concern in your item. I'm always concerned when I see specimens buried, is its hiding something? The matrix is typically easy to remove so why not expose the entire tooth.

Sorry, I don't use my camera much... I thought it was just a junky camera, but cleaning up the lens well seems to have gotten a bit nicer. It's also hard to get good light in my home. Hopefully these are a bit better to look at. I picked away some of the matrix around the tip - enough to see that the tooth continues at least somewhat further down and inward, so at least it's not flat on the other side.

post-19538-0-84333100-1440721332_thumb.jpg

post-19538-0-59178600-1440721333_thumb.jpg

I would say that at least part of the matrix looks original. There seem to be some fish bones in there. Reconstructed matrix generally has no big bones in it and will look very homogenous in colour. I think the matrix may be partially reconstructed on the left side on the first photo. The matrix looks a bit flat in that area.

Otherwise it's a nice tooth. You can see the tip of the tooth that's been worn off from use during life, which is common for shed teeth.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite