Is It Real?

Doctor Mud

I always like looking online at that site beginning with E and sorting by highest price.

It's amazing what you see. Some are clearly fake and people are asking thousands.

This looks odd- especially the teeth, and it's Really expensive.

post-11936-0-16825300-1440753539_thumb.jpg

Macrauchenia patachonica

Edited by Doctor Mud

When I saw this I had the same reaction. Did some quick research and found it did not sell at a UK auction house. Their estimate was 30,000 - 40,000. Pretty interesting set of chompers. The top of the skull looks like its had some work.

Here is an image off the web

post-10935-0-92338900-1440758303_thumb.jpg

It looks fake in so many ways, I wouldn't want it in my house if it was free. Pull the picture up and enlarge it, you will see the construction which is at best very poor----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

When I saw this I had the same reaction. Did some quick research and found it did not sell at a UK auction house. Their estimate was 30,000 - 40,000. Pretty interesting set of chompers. The top of the skull looks like its had some work.

Here is an image off the web

attachicon.gifmacrauchenia-skull.jpg

Yes - I saw that too. Bids did go up to about 1,500 though, reserve was obviously not met.

More images for comparison;

Fossil for sale:

post-11936-0-51076700-1440764847_thumb.jpg

Sketch from type specimen (I think?)

post-11936-0-35206900-1440764921_thumb.jpg

This sketch seems to be based on this image I found on the web:

post-11936-0-98367200-1440764968_thumb.jpg

It would be nice to see an example from a peer reviewed paper - maybe even the type specimen.

It looks fake in so many ways, I wouldn't want it in my house if it was free. Pull the picture up and enlarge it, you will see the construction which is at best very poor----Tom

Yes - I agree. Comparing to other examples, the sutures are all wrong and it looks like sloppy putty work as well,

Those teeth are what originally got me though...,

The bone at the gumline of the maxila seems to be poorly preserved; this may be responsible for the 'lecherous sneer" that makes it seem so odd.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The bone at the gumline of the maxila seems to be poorly preserved; this may be responsible for the 'lecherous sneer" that makes it seem so odd.

Excellent observation. In the illustrated specimen the bone pretty much follows the line of the tooth surfaces, whereas its higher in the for sale item exposing too much tooth and resulting in the lecherous sneer ( I like it :-)).

So apart from that - possibly a real preservation artifact, it seems we have a foundation of real skull with an unknown amount of restoration. Appears like a lot on the upper skull.