Late Summer Collecting In The Southeast U S A

Sacha

It may be because I was born in Lockport, NY and grew up in Buffalo, NY that after 30 years living in Florida I still believe that summer is our best season. There are just so many alive things in our environment that it can't help but make you feel alive as well.

Unfortunately, for most of our state, the rains that support that life also fill most of the rivers and creeks beyond the point where we can pursue our favorite hobby. Fortunately, there are a few rivers that buck the trend and give us a chance to do a little hunting, if we chose to broaden our options a little.

The (North) Withlacoochee River coming out of southern Georgia is one of those rivers and luckily it provides an almost unlimited supply of agatized coral for those of us who like to cut, polish, tumble or just admire the variations in colors and configurations.

While the Peace River has been rising through flood stage and the Santa Fe has been going out of reach, I've taken three 2 day trips to get some relief from the homebound responsibilities of Florida's wet season. This last trip we were blessed with cool temperatures (no higher the 88 degrees) low humidity and plenty of sun. They were 2 beautiful days with some coral found and almost no activity on the river. I did have some company:

post-12135-0-21022800-1440756056_thumb.jpg

which I don't mind much. I actually see very few snakes when I'm out collecting, but I should think more about my preference for collecting by myself. This was just a water snake so there wasn't any issue.

The river was only flowing at about 30 CFM so there was allot of exposed shoal area and seepage. Good for a little drink and mineral supplements:

post-12135-0-01950800-1440756308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sacha

This little guy wanted to keep me company most of the 2 days. I was glad his big brother was somewhere else this trip.

post-12135-0-55001000-1440756532_thumb.jpg

The 2 days away were a nice break. A chance to get out and see why I live down here again and even find some cool things. It will be a while before I find out whether what I collected are keepers or not, but after a dozen trips here, that really doesn't matter any more. It's just a beautiful river to spend a couple days on.

By the way, as I was reaching the boat ramp for my exit and trip home, I ran into FF member Cris who was launching with a few friends. So Cris, if you see this post, show us what you brought home.

Looks like a very nice trip, John. I love seeing photos of the scenery and wildlife on your trips. Someday I hope to see those rivers in person. I hope that you share pictures of the agates when you have 'opened' them. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Nice snake. I'm always happy to see wildlife when out fossil hunting. As long as said wildlife doesn't try to get too close at least! Looks like you had a nice trip.

That's the Withlacoochee River? The portion of the river between Citrus and Marion counties has been steadily rising due to all the rain. I cross the river twice a day five days a week going to and from work and every time I think that I need to see about fossil hunting in it. Then I remember how very dark the water is and how many big gators I saw the last time we went boating on it. Maybe one of these days I'll be brave enough to check it out!

Please do show some pictures of what you found. Before and after you clean them up if you don't mind. Some day I'd like to go looking for some of my own and it'd be helpful to see what they look like before they're all cleaned up.

Nice snake. I'm always happy to see wildlife when out fossil hunting. As long as said wildlife doesn't try to get too close at least! Looks like you had a nice trip.

That's the Withlacoochee River? The portion of the river between Citrus and Marion counties has been steadily rising due to all the rain. I cross the river twice a day five days a week going to and from work and every time I think that I need to see about fossil hunting in it. Then I remember how very dark the water is and how many big gators I saw the last time we went boating on it. Maybe one of these days I'll be brave enough to check it out!

Please do show some pictures of what you found. Before and after you clean them up if you don't mind. Some day I'd like to go looking for some of my own and it'd be helpful to see what they look like before they're all cleaned up.

Actually, that's the other Withlacoochee River which flows north from around Lacoochee Florida. Your river dumps into the gulf near Yankeetown (good spot for echinoids). My Withlacoochee dumps into the Suwannee River after flowing south from around Valdosta, GA.

I hadn't realized that we had two rivers in Florida named Withlacoochee. Don't know why that didn't occur to me since I already knew that the river near me ends in Yankeetown. Wonder why they both have the same name. Is the water of the northern Withlacoochee clearer then the southern one?

Nice pics John, glad to see you're getting out. Sifting season will be here before we know it: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice pics John, glad to see you're getting out. Sifting season will be here before we know it: )

And I will be here in the then frozen North awaiting my chance.

Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for your excellent photos. I don't think 88 degrees will ever be "cool" for me but I guess you've gotten used to Florida summers. That agatized coral sounds great.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Looks like a very nice trip, John. I love seeing photos of the scenery and wildlife on your trips. Someday I hope to see those rivers in person. I hope that you share pictures of the agates when you have 'opened' them. :)

I have cut a couple that I'm pretty pleased with. Hope some of the others are as nice. Here's an interesting "geode"

post-12135-0-98271500-1440790459_thumb.jpg

and here's a nicely colored solid:

post-12135-0-88987100-1440790514_thumb.jpg

It was 106 here yesterday and close to that again today, with relatively high humidity to boot . 88 sound pretty cool to me right now.

If I were over there (east coast) I'd find a way to get around the swollen rivers and hunt elsewhere.

Tell me, do the heavy rains disrupt the ocean diving? Meaning, do the silt/dirty laden rivers dumping into the gulf muck up the visibility for ocean hunting?

P.S. cool looking corals Sacha!

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It was 106 here yesterday and close to that again today, with relatively high humidity to boot . 88 sound pretty cool to me right now.

If I were over there (east coast) I'd find a way to get around the swollen rivers and hunt elsewhere.

Tell me, do the heavy rains disrupt the ocean diving? Meaning, do the silt/dirty laden rivers dumping into the gulf muck up the visibility for ocean hunting?

P.S. cool looking corals Sacha!

here in Venice if we get a lot of rain it can make the viz worse, particularly on an outgoing tide but rain isn't as much of a factor as wind for messing it up : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice agates there! The hollow ones from there are nice looking. Always makes it better when you have good scenery where you are hunting at. When you get tired just sit down and enjoy it for a little while before continuing. Some of the places I look are almost desert conditions but we have much less humidity here in Wyoming.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking corals John. This summer kept me too busy with doing coral reef surveys and training classes throughout the Caribbean (and I'm still not done for this year). Wanted to get back up to the (northern) Withlacoochee but that may have to wait for next year. The good news is all the traveling and diving is making the time till the Peace River recedes go by quicker. As Jeff said, river sifting time will be here before you know it.

Love to see any other nice corals you've found in your recent trips to Valdosta.

-Ken