Fish Fossils From China

Norwegian

On ebay there are several fossils of something the sellers call "wolf fin fish":

Are these real fossils?

To me it looks like totally real fish.

But it looks like all or most of the bones are gone? Is this normal in some fish fossils?

Could it be just the impression of real fish (bones) in something that looks like stone - some sort of sement that is man made?

Welcome to The Forum. :)

I've removed the ebay link in your post per our guidelines. However, I have copied the first photo from your link. If you were referring to another one, you could add it in a following reply. ;)

post-420-0-87900800-1440786939_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you :)

People can see more photos of them if they just go to ebay and search for "wolf fish fossil"

Edited by Norwegian

They are quite real, and not rare. Some may have been enhanced for displayability with a little paint.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They are cool looking fossils, but I'm not interested in any more painted fish... I'd like to get one I knew wasn't painted. I don't trust the chinese sellers on this.

Thank you all for the replies!

If its paint or not:

If the darker color is paint - and I'm not sure it is paint - it looks like it is only on top of the imprints in the stone..

So it seems at least it is NOT added details

- like those ridiculous huge fins one sometimes see on knightia fish fossils :D ..which are clearly drawn/painted on where there are NO detail in the stone.

I got no answer to one of my questions in my original post though - maybe someone can answer this:

The wolf fin fish fossils seem to be all (or mostly) imprint of the fish bones in the stone - and not fossilized bones. (as far as I can see)

But in american fish fossils i often see both: imprint in the stone and fossilized bones/shells.

So is this normal - that one see just the imprint? and no indication that it could be fake?

If real: Maybe the bones have just fall off the rock.. Maybe it have to do with the type of rock..

Or could this be imprints of real fish/bones made in a type of cement in present day?

Does anyone on this forum own this type of fish fossil?

Edited by Norwegian

Some formations preserve the bones, some do not; much depends on the local chemistry going on over the eons.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Some formations preserve the bones, some do not; much depends on the local chemistry going on over the eons.

I see! Thank you for the information!

I have seen many times a fish fossil where only the impression of the bones is left and no bones whatsoever. That fish in the picture is lycoptera, I use to sell a lot of those way back when and those too can be an impression of the fish. Wether or not this is the Wolf Fin fish, I do not no.

RB

I own several of these fish.

They are real.

My only question on them is the body outline - not sure if that is added, or real, but haven't tested to find out for sure.

The bones and skull colors are very real - not painted.

I prepped a part of the skull of one, and the colors were in place under the stone I removed.

They are common fish, and many are sold. Some sellers on a popular auction site sell them for too much, while there are others who don't charge much at all.

Regards,

Before and after prep

Jurassic Lycoptera davidi slab.

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me