Carboniferous Plants Diversity

RomanK

You're right, there is a fair amount of diversity at these plant sites! No less than I have at the Cretaceous plant sites I have visited in my area, I would say.

By the way, some of your photos look somewhat compressed - I don't know if you have noticed or if there is anything you can do about it. I see many such compressed photos (jpegs) on the Forum these days, so maybe it is the nature of the camer/phone.

These specimens have such excellent detail. They have an aesthetic appeal as well as educational.

I like the inclusion of the token. I'm always on the look out for arrowheads, teepee rings, etc. when out fossil hunting. A trip is more meaningful when there is also Nature and history.

The diversity of plant fossils at a site is a clue not only to the environment but the conditions under which the material was preserved. An environment rich in diversity can have very limited fossil preservation.

Wrangellian. You mention the photos looking compressed. They come across excellent on my IPad. Could it be your screen setting.

Wrangellian. You mention the photos looking compressed. They come across excellent on my IPad. Could it be your screen setting.

This is my screenshot, it's pretty close to if not exactly what I see (not sure if Paint has further compressed it but not noticeably so): The pic is large, but it looks like melted snow, ie. little patches are blurred but there are sharp boundaries between these patches. Does it not show the same on your end? Does an iPad have the same kind of resolution that my 20x11" screen has (1920x1080)?

EDIT: In fact now that I look closer I can see little pixelly squares about 2mm square (I measured them Roman's original above with a ruler on my screen) so I know it's compressed!

post-4372-0-07515200-1440892774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

Did you click on it again after opening the thumbnail? That will release it to full size.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is my screenshot, it's pretty close to if not exactly what I see (not sure if Paint has further compressed it but not noticeably so): The pic is large, but it looks like melted snow

How would someone on Vancouver Island know what snow is? You guys are always boasting of your tropical winters.

How would someone on Vancouver Island know what snow is? You guys are always boasting of your tropical winters.

We get snow, but it almost immediately melts - so I know what melted snow looks like! (granular)

Personally I don't boast about our winters - we have enough people moving here already

(Sorry Roman, Back to the regularly-scheduled program...)

Edited by Wrangellian

You're right, there is a fair amount of diversity at these plant sites! No less than I have at the Cretaceous plant sites I have visited in my area, I would say.

By the way, some of your photos look somewhat compressed - I don't know if you have noticed or if there is anything you can do about it. I see many such compressed photos (jpegs) on the Forum these days, so maybe it is the nature of the camer/phone.

I didn't use any special mfnipulation with pictures, just reduce the resolution to 72 dots per inch.

These specimens have such excellent detail. They have an aesthetic appeal as well as educational.

I like the inclusion of the token. I'm always on the look out for arrowheads, teepee rings, etc. when out fossil hunting. A trip is more meaningful when there is also Nature and history.

The diversity of plant fossils at a site is a clue not only to the environment but the conditions under which the material was preserved. An environment rich in diversity can have very limited fossil preservation.

Thank you Canadawest!

I didn't use any special mfnipulation with pictures, just reduce the resolution to 72 dots per inch.

I'm not sure that would do anything noticeable, but there is a definite pixelly appearance, 2mm squares (with 8 pixels per square). Maybe your software also changes the quality when you change the resolution, without you knowing? I have used programs that did this to me - it would save at a low quality if I wasn't careful to prevent it, by adjusting that setting during saving. It was expressed as a percentage, for example "Quality: 90%" or "100%" or whatever. Make sure it is 100%, or at least 90%. If it's not that, then I don't know what causes it. I see many pictures on the Forum that are like this, which leads me to believe it is a default setting on whatever software most people are using.

Here is what your pic looks like zoomed in:

post-4372-0-30036000-1440998016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian