Danaeites Alethopteris Macrophyllus- North East Ohio

saysac

Found 8-26 and with the help of a friend, both pieces are home now and back together again..... as a bonus, when breaking some of the back rock off to get rid of weight, the other came off the back!

DSC00851 (1024x683).jpg

DSC00852 (1024x683).jpg

Sherry

Great finds i would be pleased with both of them.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Looks amazing all together. Glad to be a part of the excitement!

Sherry, I just added the scans of the fish scales to the earlier topic on those.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Which ones is which? You must have some unusual items here, I haven't seen these before (I have seen Alethopteris, maybe a different species, I don't recognize either of the ferns in the pic).

Edited by Wrangellian

I think the second photo Sherry posted is a Megalopteris species. But it looks a little different so I'm not sure. I need to look at it closer when I have a chance.

Edited by Stocksdale

Wow, nice big well preserved frond material. Congrats! Regards, Chris

Edit...sorry got distracted as I am apt to do lately and forgot what the heck I was doing. I forgot to add the 2nd specimen does intrigue me...I dont recognize it either...First came to mind was maybe a Sphenopterid but need to look at the veination/attachments closer....If stocksdale doesnt snag an ID or someone else Ill shoot an email off to someone.

Thanks again for showing the latest...with the size and completeness of these I would guess there would be more there to found. Neat. Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

I made highres scans of parts of these two fossils. I just got around to looking at them some. On the one with the Megalopteris leaf, is an odd thing toward the edge. I'll post it here in case someone has seen something similar. Bar is 1cm.

post-10955-0-60138200-1441577741_thumb.jpg

I wondered if it is a rhizodont fish part. The only reason I throw that out there is that there were two rhizodont fish scales found in the same layer.

Here's an illustration of strepsodus teeth. Possibility?

post-10955-0-38525500-1441683637_thumb.png

Hi Sherry,

Here's the full plate with the item circled. It is at the edge of the scan so more of the fossil there that I didn't image. Maybe you can try to get a closeup photo of it.

post-10955-0-71548600-1441684314_thumb.jpg

The leaf is definitely a type of Megalopteris by the way.

If it is a fish tooth. The plate tells an interesting story of an upland plant that fell down from the cliff then got covered with the mud and sediment from the rising Early Pennsylvanian lake.

Edited by Stocksdale

I will try and get the photo later today Paul. I finally got the 2 large specimens carried into the shop so they are protected from the weather.

Sherry

Tooth or no tooth, that is a wonderful fern plate, I'll say again if I've already said so elsewhere! (Same with the other one)

The mystery Item sure looks like a Rhizodont tooth to me.

Maybe a picture of the entire item may help?

Saysac,... I am really enjoying seeing your finds.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've not been able to nail down what kind of Megalopteris that is. The veination and large leaves certainly match the Megalopteris category, but it looks a little different. Could be a new species :)

You also have the other half of the impression of the "Megalopteris" right? It would also have the impression of the tooth.

Question..... Would the layer that has the "Megalopteris" leaves and the layer that has the "Danaeites" frond be deposited nearly at the same time (within days of each other)? Or would it be a longer period of time? There is about an inch of fine mudstone rock between the two layers.

Edited by Stocksdale

To change the train of thought slightly....

I find it just as interesting what is absent from the Flora at Sherry's location.

She's collected hundreds of items, but not one of the more common Neuropteris, Alethopteris (the typical kind), or Tree Fern.

I assume that is a factor of being an upland ravine. Maybe also a factor of being Early Pennsylvanian...

Just some random thoughts :)

Edited by Stocksdale

To change the train of thought slightly....

I find it just as interesting what is absent from the Flora at Sherry's location.

She's collected hundreds of items, but not one of the more common Neuropteris, Alethopteris (the typical kind), or Tree Fern.

I assume that is a factor of being an upland ravine. Maybe also a factor of being Early Pennsylvanian...

Just some random thoughts :)

This whole shootin' match is fascinating! So different...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That made me smile Auspex....maybe I should use the term "shootin' match" with my husband and see if I could get him interested in them then.... :-)

Sherry