Topsail Island Find

jpwhite82

Hey everyone,

This past week I found several fossils that I can't quite ID. I've looked through my resources and can't find anything similar. They were found on North Topsail Beach, NC. I think they are either some sort of trace fossil from a mollusk or crab. The main reason I think it could possibly be crab or at least trace fossils of crabs is the ridges along the sides. I have one similar at work with more pronounced ridges along with the ID from a professional paleontologist. Thanks for the input. - Justin

post-4157-0-73093700-1440908709_thumb.jpg

Here's a few closeup images of the ridges.

post-4157-0-97381900-1440908758_thumb.jpg

post-4157-0-86975900-1440908839_thumb.jpg

post-4157-0-41940900-1440908910_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpwhite82

There do appear to be both trace and shell fossils in them, but they are steinkerns from the oyster Isognomon maxillata.

• I found this Informative 3

Yup, steinkerns of the "Giant Tree Oyster".

Now there's a common name that'll get your imagination going...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with you! Very nice steinkerns of "purse - oyster",with borings of worms or clams and remains of them. The characteristic features of the Isognomon maxillata are still visible, the pointed beak and the lateral teeth-like ridge.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yup, steinkerns of the "Giant Tree Oyster".

Now there's a common name that'll get your imagination going...

Could it be in some way a reference to the roughly triangular shape that is most often seen ?

I've never seen these before so thanks for posting them. I can certainly see how the triangular shape would suggest the tree oyster name. Apparently the common name of the modern tree oysters results from their common habit of attaching to the roots of mangrove trees. The fossil Isognomon maxillata was placed in the same genus as the modern tree oysters, including Isognomon alatus and Isognomon ephippium among others.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds!

I agree with Isognomon, but not with Maxillata.I think It's an Isognomon Mytiloides/Isognomoides. I know that the rock suffered erosion, but the beak of Isognomon Maxillata is more sharp.