Please Help Me Id This Fossil

Bdog197

Rockwood,

Thanks for the input. It has a shrimp type body, but the tail comes to a point. See below.

file:///Users/bernardhempfling/Desktop/IMG_0067.jpg

I admit that I know zip about such fossils, but the places I've marked remind me of sutures on an ammonite.

post-13648-0-53995100-1440949889_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I would be willing to go with old bones in that it reminds me of ammonites, can see what clearly looks like suture lines which are highlighted above the areas which you are referring to as being used for griping may be the patterns which you see on the ammonite shells, now I'm still learning so I may be completely wrong but that's what it reminds me off. However from a quick Google search I see the charahoochee formation is Miocene I age so that would rule out ammonites however I may be wrong about that as I'm not familiar with Geology abroad so I only used google :) hope it some help in a way :)

There are tell-tale sutures in the first image, and a tell-tale keel in the second: I'll go with ammonite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The sutures are visible mostly in the area that I crop from the first pic. of this thread. post-17588-0-56831700-1441138740_thumb.jpg

Theese suture patterns are characteristic to Ammonoids, and I see they are very complex, so it belongs to Ammonites form Triassic - Cretaceous periods. As I know, in the Chattahoochee River Basin near Columbus are Cretaceous outcrops, so it makes sense.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the Forum .

We can see clearly the suture lines, caracteristic of Mesozoic ammonites...These are created for the intersection of the ondulated edges of septa (divisions of the chambers) with the superficial part of the shell.So, in my opinion, it's an eroded internal mold of an ammonite.

Regards