Unknown Invertebrate In Mid Mo Limestone

cgroat

I'm Carl, a new member of the forum as of a few minutes ago. I found this fossil in a piece of limestone in a dry creek bed about 15 miles N of Columbia, Missouri and have been unable to identify it.

I took it to a friend at MU, Columbia -- an invertebrate zoologist, but he could not I.D. the fossil. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pictures attached. Thanks much.

post-19568-0-57062600-1440981457_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-67404200-1440981477_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-21999400-1440981494_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-64246100-1440981695_thumb.jpg

I agree, looks like a crinoid cup.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Definitely crinoid cup. Looks like the Burlington Formation, which would make that Mississippian age. Most likely Physetocrinus. It has those elaborate plates.

Edited by Xiphactinus

Nice find!

For me it's a Physetocrinus crinoid calyx, like Xiphactinus said .

Another question:Howard the crinoids belong to the Echinoderms group, not echinoid (another type of echinoderms, wich includes sea urchins).

It looks like a bit of consensus on it being a Crinoid calyx - likely Physetocrinus.

Much thanks for all the suggestions--this forum is a great resource.

Howard, Echinoderm is a common name for the members of the phyllum Echinodermata, wich includes many classes of animals that have calcareous endoskeletons and radial symmetry, like the Echinoidea (sea urchins/cidaroids or echinoids ), the Crinoidea (crinoids),the Asteroidea (strafishes), the Blastoidea (blastoids) , the Cystoidea (cystoids)...So, echinoids isn't an abbreviaton for echinoderms.They are members of the class Echinoidea, and like crinoids belong to the phyllum Echinodermata.

Here are two links and a image to clarifie it:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/echinodermata/echinoidea.html

http://tolweb.org/Echinodermata

post-18967-0-94766000-1441235222_thumb.jpg

I am very aware of the classificaton of Echinoderms and the Taxonomy of their "Phylum", Being a Geologist for over 40 years. Again I was using the term "Echinoid" as a catch all term for any Echinoderm that is not fully identifiable. Most Geologist I know do this also as it is shorter than Echinoderm. If this was a formal geological paper I would use Echinoderm, but in this informal setting most people here would understand the use of Echinoid.

Hi,

Sorry howard, not french people...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg