Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

Hey, here's an interesting idea. I am proposing to offer a completely blind fossil trade. Something like I will put 4-5 decent!!! ( no junk ) fossils into a box and ship it to you. You do the same in return. Neither of us will now what the other is sending. It will be like a grab bag surprise gift exchange.

Does this sound like fun or what?!

• I found this Informative 8

I might be interested, If you dont mind sending to Europe.

You can always send me a PM.

Greetings,

Kevin

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I STRONGLY recommend a trade with Kevin Caldigger!

I know this fella and he is both generous & highly knowledgable.

You'll get some good stuff from him, thats for sure

Pat

I would be interested but you would need to mail it to the UK

PM me if you want to do it.

Regards

Mike

As much as I would love to do exchanges across "the pond", I have looked into the shipping costs ( WOW!!!) and find them slightly prohibitive to my present pocketbook. So I am sorry, but I must keep my end to shipping within the U.S.

• I found this Informative 3

Even Canada to US and US to Canada has gotten stupid expensive for anything over four pounds.

Sounds like fun!

Looking at post prices to Australia from the n hemisphere is not for the faint hearted :-0

Are you limiting it to one lucky individual. If not, I would be interested in expanding yet thinning my collection all in the name of fun!!

Alright, PFOOLEY played the game. He will get a package soon.

Awesome!...let's do five. :).

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

What a reckless, intriguing idea. If you wish to risk* a snollybox, let me know.

*snolly is eccentric and unpredictable

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What about the idea of a "chain letter". I send to Snolly50, Snolly sends to the next one to post an interest in participating and so on. Would be interesting to see how far it would go. The kink IS postage overseas for those that want to participate there. Am open to suggestions. If there is an interest, I will start a fresh topic on it. Otherwise, I would still be interested in playing with either snolly or caldigger one on one.

hrm Calldigger , you know , the recent "shift" in policy from the french post is not for the faint of heart either .... It is now 60 % to 100 % more expensive this way than from US to France . Seems to me this is the best way to ban international trade on fossils ....

Alright you guys from outside the U.S., why not do this between yourselves? I am sure there are many members in the European realm that would love to do exchanges with your different countries and surrounding regions.

The game doesn't have to end here, keep it going over there also.

OK, I will limit my participation to the extra three listed so far:

Minnbuckeye

Snolly50

Jgcox

Please PM me with your full name and mailing address ( include your name on the forum so I can put a name to your avatar).

Edited by caldigger
  • I found this Informative 2

And by all means, don't let this topic end with my closing. The rest of you can trade amongst yourselves.

OK, the question was presented to me on "what is descent?"

Descent to me is defined as asking yourself "would I have this on my shelf?" I ship nice specimens that I would keep for myself, but for the fact that I have duplicates. I also try to ship items that I feel the receiving party wouldn't have access to in their areas. For instance, I likely wouldn't ship a crinoid hash plate to a place that readily has them in their backyard. What would be the point?

Descent, does not mean an item that is destend for the rock garden outside.

And please include all available information you have on the items being sent (what it is- such as species, location/ formation found in, approximate age, etc. ) so the receiver can properly identify and label.

Edited by caldigger
  • I found this Informative 4

Sounds like fun but I perty much quit trading years ago, except for crabs and lobster that is. And yeah, sending over seas is ridiculously expensive. I sold an ammonite to a fellow overseas and once he learned the shipping cost, the deal was over. I cant blame him either. The cost of shipping was more than the fossil!!!

RB

I'd try if anyone's interested.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

This sounds like it was inspired by my trade with you!

I can testify that it was fun being on the blind side of the deal waiting to see what I would get. Kind of like Christmas in August.

Edited by Fossil Claw

This sounds like it was inspired by my trade with you!

I can testify that it was fun being on the blind side of the deal waiting to see what I would get. Kind of like Christmas in August.

You are partially right Dom. Although I have thought about grab bag trading for a while, it was your participation that pushed me forward to do it more openly. I am glad you are happy with the items you got. I love opening "special" presents.

Hey, I think I can throw together one more "treasure chest" for trade. I got a righteous trade with jcbshark a while back and would love to get some more Floridian items, so are there any Florida members that would like to do a blind trade with 'ol caldigger?

I like mammal and vert. stuff... hint, hint!

Hi Caldigger,

I am deeply upset that you have deemed to exclude your previous colonial masters from your "blind trade" scheme, due to the exorbitant postage charges that your so called postal service make.

I feel that I am being deprived of fabulous and fascinating fossils that may, when received change my life and broaden my fossiling horizon.

I have lost the chance of the intense feeling of anticipation that awaiting the arrival of such a trade parcel would give, therefore I plead with you to reconsider you unfair restriction on us that live "on the other side of the pond".

Ha Ha only joking I understand, I recently sent a small parcel to the USA that was just over 2 lb in weight and it cost £15:76 (that's about $26).

To all that have been sent a mystery trade I would love to see what you each ended up with.

Regards

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

Don't have many vert or mammal fossils...

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19