Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

Shut up caldigger lol!  I hope you like mammoth and sloth ;)  You are right though, here I was choosing pieces that I thought were acceptable to trade, but the idea of the game has become quite enlightening if you play it right.  These beautiful pieces you've sent me deserve a place in my collection, which means I can free up some center pieces, and they are yours kind sir.  Straight from the tannin laden; alligator infested waters of Florida.  Also, you mentioned that you felt bad that you only send small things(amazingly awesome small things) so, I'm gonna give you a little mass to work with!  I see the light now!  Oh lawdy do I see the light!!!!

Hi all,

Seeing that this topic is still lively, and that people are still sending great fossils, I would like to propose the following:

A SMALL blind trade (around 10-15$ worth of fossils), european/international. This is because I have fossils that I urgently have to send away, but I do not have many.

By the way, if you are from Florida/often hunt in Florida, you're probably not gonna be very interested in the trade, because some of the fossils come from there.

Anyone in? 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

11 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Also, you mentioned that you felt bad that you only send small things(amazingly awesome small things) so, I'm gonna give you a little mass to work with!

Why would you feel bad about sending small fossils? In my opinion, what counts is quality, not size! Most of the fossils in my collection are quite small, but still very cool.

Also, smaller fossils cost less to send. :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Alright, here are my amazing specimens from @caldigger.  23 exquisite fossils, that's why it's embarrassing for me.  So many things I didn't have in my collection, some actual bucket list items as well.  I'll list them as he did, from 1-23(very professional might I add). Cleonicoras besairlei, Miocene petrified wood, straight shelled cephalopod, dendaster ashleyi, Devonian brachipods, petrified and polished conifer, Devonian crinoid stems, awesome crab(bucket list), jurassic gastropod, lower Devonian brachipods, Miocene freshwater snail, agatized whalebone, awesome fist fullof ammonite!, ringicula gastropod, beautiful Miocene shell molds, Eocene tiger shark teeth, nice horn coral, Ordovician brachiopod, olivella loiplicata miocene, beautiful ammonite sutures are really visible under light(see picture), hooked tooth mako, very cool Carboniferous fern(bucket list), and a beautiful dual trilobite plate.

so many exquisite fossils!!!!!!!

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

That's a pretty good cross-section of the fossil world, from Cambrian to nearly recent, plant to invertebrate to vertebrate. I don't know if I could put together quite the variety otherwise maybe I'd get in on the blind trade thing.

I know, it really is an amazing variety of specimens.  I'm actually studying to become a paleontologist, and we get a fossil kit from the collection of my UF professor, to be honest, this box is better than the kit.  And I have to return the kit at the end of the semester!  Seriously, I couldn't be happier, or more embarrassed!  

Once again I'm astounded by @caldigger's generosity.  Arrived home today to yet another package, in it some really nice douvilleiceras ammonites for me to prep, a bag of micro matrix from sharktooth hill, and some of his home formation shells to study!  This guy just won't quit!

i did hear that permits will be given to paleontologists to hunt on government land, and they can bring a number of assistants ;)

thank you you so much Doren, with my schedule I think the soonest I can get some goodies out to you will be Friday, but hang tight!

IMG_2500.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Alrighty!  Just received @Vieiras package, all the way from Portugal.  The box was a little banged up, but the fossils made it intact.  Here we have some beautiful inverts, including the Echinoidea that I love!  They don't look like that in my area.  A cool sand tiger shark in the matrix, Jurassic turtle shell, and what appears to be dinosaur bones, in gonna call it from the family of chunkosauraus! :) thanks vieira! Hope you enjoy your fossils.

IMG_2501.JPG

On 4/7/2017 at 7:10 AM, cheney416 said:

Wow. I really interested in this cool trade. How I can join in?

Basically you are already joined in by expressing interest in the blind trade. Now you can either wait for someone to contact you about doing a trade, or you can contact a member who has previously posted that they are interested in doing a trade as well. Good luck!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

43 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Basically you are already joined in by expressing interest in the blind trade. Now you can either wait for someone to contact you about doing a trade, or you can contact a member who has previously posted that they are interested in doing a trade as well. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice!

Wow!!!  I received my end of a trade from member  malcolmt from Canada. It may have taken a while, but it was well worth the wait. Unfortunately he and his workshop were experiencing so subfreezing temperatures preventing much of anything from happening.

I didn't mind waiting and you'll see why. Man-oh-man, an invertebrate lovers dream!  From Eurypterid parts, trilobites, brachiopods, gastropod and a vast variety of odd creatures that inhabited the seas of the Silurian, Ordovician and Devonian of the northeastern portion of North American continent. I am truly humbled by his offerings. Thank you Malcolm!  There was so much it took several pictures to get it all in.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Wow!!!  I received my end of a trade from member  malcolmt from Canada. It may have taken a while, but it was well worth the wait. Unfortunately he and his workshop were experiencing so subfreezing temperatures preventing much of anything from happening.

I didn't mind waiting and you'll see why. Man-oh-man, an invertebrate lovers dream!  From Eurypterid parts, trilobites, brachiopods, gastropod and a vast variety of odd creatures that inhabited the seas of the Silurian, Ordovician and Devonian of the northeastern portion of North American continent. I am truly humbled by his offerings. Thank you Malcolm!  There was so much it took several pictures to get it all in.

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

I want Eurypterid parts! :o

That was a super nice trade!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Third pic.  I must say, the pictures do not do them justice. Much more detail when in hand.

IMG_0123.JPG

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

Third pic.  I must say, the pictures do not do them justice. Much more detail when in hand.

IMG_0123.JPG

God...I can't belive......

I was always curious to see some of Malcolm's stuff. A very generous and impressive array! I really like that enrolled Isotelus! (and I guess that eurypterid is not too bad, either!).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Now everyone is going to ask Malcolm for a Blind trade since he is so generous.

I hope people keep it in the spirit of the blind trade. Something fun to do versus seeking past generous traders in hopes of getting a similar type trade.

Could to Malcolm on his generous trade.

Very glad that Doren was a happy customer. Took me a while to get my wet saw going to cut some of the pieces down to a manageable size, being out in the unheated garage at -20 using a wet saw that sprays all over the place is not fun. In the end finally got the package for Caldigger down to 10 pounds. A fair assortment of the types of things that we can find within about 3 hours of Mississauga, Ontario. (just west of Toronto). We are very fortunate to have a number of world class fossil localities within a manageable drive I wanted to give Doren a nice package as he has put so much effort into getting this blind trading on the forum going strong. On the downside he got the package at his end about a month after I got mine. But I did not open his package until after I had mailed his. That was tough not to open it..........

A number of people have contacted me over the years looking to trade. I have traded with a select few, gifted others and participated in the secret santa but generally I have not been a very active trader. For my personal collecting I have really focused on trilobites, crinoids, cystoids, other echinoderms, gastropods and of course eurypterids. I do not really collect brachs or vertebrates. For the most part my personal collection is pretty much made up of items that I have found and / or prepped myself. I have very few pieces in my display cabinets that were found and prepped by others. 

If you are interested in making contact with me you can PM me and we can see if there is any potential for doing something. Currently I am  mostly interested in unprepped trilobites, echinoderms, crinoids and crab concretions.. 

I am not the best photographer but I will try to get a picture of Caldigger's package that I received up today. 

• I found this Informative 2

I think the kind and generous esprit of the blind trade will continue, with no trader considered more generous than any other. It is really an "eye of the beholder" situation, as some stuff we find common and uninteresting would thrill a member very far away, and vice versa. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Each of us is either fortunate to live in a great fossil collecting area or not so fortunate. I have been fortunate and tend to work very hard at collecting fossils. As a result I tend to find a lot of nice things. I try to get out at least one day a week collecting. In a blind trade it is not about what you give or receive, it is about making contact and friends with another individual that has the same interests as you do. We all start out as novices and gain experience over time. Some one else likely helped us along the way and we should all try to pass things forward to others. I know I have met up with individuals that I have met through the forum and they will be collecting friends for life.  

• I found this Informative 4