Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

7 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Each of us is either fortunate to live in a great fossil collecting area or not so fortunate. I have been fortunate and tend to work very hard at collecting fossils. As a result I tend to find a lot of nice things. I try to get out at least one day a week collecting. In a blind trade it is not about what you give or receive, it is about making contact and friends with another individual that has the same interests as you do. We all start out as novices and gain experience over time. Some one else likely helped us along the way and we should all try to pass things forward to others. I know I have met up with individuals that I have met through the forum and they will be collecting friends for life.  

Said much better than me!

• I found this Informative 2

As I said, I am not that into photography, here is a picture of the package I received from CalDigger, all good stuff.. a nice cross section of things he finds and material he has traded for...... no complaints. A couple of ammonites that once I prep them will be real nice....

I must say Doren wrote out detailed descriptions of where things were found and if it was by him. all good stuff. Doren is very generous as we have all seen in his blind trades.

caldigger.thumb.jpg.60be28a5494ee5794f1a04c4b9d49259.jpg

I have collected, bought and traded enough over the past year that I think I have enough variety and quality of material for trades.

Tossing my hat in the ring for a Blind trade.

Any takers?

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

I have collected, bought and traded enough over the past year that I think I have enough variety and quality of material for trades.

Tossing my hat in the ring for a Blind trade.

Any takers?

I'll be your Huckleberry. PM me your address.

2 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

??? Whats a huckleberry ????

It's a reference to the movie Tombstone.

He supposedly a saying used by Doc Holliday.

19 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

It's a reference to the movie Tombstone.

He supposedly a saying used by Doc Holliday.

You are correct sir.

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wow!!!  I received my end of a trade from member  malcolmt from Canada. It may have taken a while, but it was well worth the wait. Unfortunately he and his workshop were experiencing so subfreezing temperatures preventing much of anything from happening.

I didn't mind waiting and you'll see why. Man-oh-man, an invertebrate lovers dream!  From Eurypterid parts, trilobites, brachiopods, gastropod and a vast variety of odd creatures that inhabited the seas of the Silurian, Ordovician and Devonian of the northeastern portion of North American continent. I am truly humbled by his offerings. Thank you Malcolm!  There was so much it took several pictures to get it all in.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Pretty nice sampling of the Ontario Paleozoic there, Malcolm is indeed lucky and generous, and things come already prepped! I got some Eurypts and others from him a while ago - maybe I should post a pic though it was not specifically thru this blind trade program. Have not yet managed to get hold of one of those odd cystoids or Ceraurus though, but have been looking at them for a while on the 'auction site'. Maybe if I can swing another trade... (though I'm already indebted for some prep work he's doing for me)

What is that thing below the Ceraurus? Bertie Fm? And the little round things below the brachs?

Hi guys, I want to join this blind trade international. I'm still young collector and have not great fossils, but none the less, if you want to trade with my little something, (maybe my finds) please pm to me ^_^

Thanks.

Cheney416

The "thing below the ceraurus that looks a bit like a "sperm" is a cooksonia sp, the worlds first vascular land plant. It is from the Williamsville A  layer of the Bertie. Under magnification you can see the vascularization. The eurypterid quarry Formerly a lagoon) gets some of these washed in from the land .There is a 2nd one also in his package that has the more textbook double stem shape.

The very small round things are anazyga sp a small brach that wash out loose on the ground 

Wrangellian, I am suspecting we might be able to pad your prep package with a few extras on its return trip back to you so you may yet end up with some of those odd cystoid things and some other goodies. 

You're a good guy, Malclom. ;)  You did send me a Cooksonia before, and that's what I suspected his was but for all I knew it could have been some sort of worm.. Would mine also be from the same layer of that formation?

Some day I'll send you some Hornby or Shelter Point crabs when I acquire more of them, which it shouldn't be that much of a problem for me. I already have a couple that I'd like prepped but not sure if the spare ones will turn out to be anything but a mess.

Wish it was a worm. I have never found anything that I was sure of being a worm. There is a rare annelid at the Ordovician sites I go to but I have never found one though I have been present when a couple were found.

Yes all of the cooksonia at that locality are the Williamsville A. I never saw any cooksonia in the now long gone outcrop of Fiddlers green that used to there but all got blasted away. Though the Fiddlers had tons of algal and stromatolite material in it. The layer below the Williamsville is pretty devoid of any plant material algal or cooksonia. 

I didn't think you'd give away a worm!

Thanks for the info. I see now that you did include that datum on the sheet you included.

On 03/11/2016 at 8:37 PM, caldigger said:

Just received a "British Invasion" box from John Brewer who wanted a second trade opportunity with me. Here is what I got from him.

a plate with Ichthyosaurus ribs

two Dactylioceras commune ammonites

piece of Triassic bone bed

sawfish tooth

a couple of crocodile teeth

garfish scale

a turtle bone

a piece of stromatolite

pterosaur tooth

an oyster shell from Nizas, France

a group of fossil ferns

a piece of Kodonophyllum truncatum coral

a chunk of rock encrusted with iron pyrite

and a couple of surprises (perhaps some real dinosaur eggs, perhaps not) waiting to discover what they are with my nephew next week.

My many thanks to you John for taking me up on another Blind Trade (c).

SAM_3504.JPG

SAM_3505.JPG

Glad they got there ok Doren and lamely I didn't photograph the great bundle you sent me last year. Always fun to trade with you. 

By he way did the eggs hatch ;)

Well, I soaked the eggs for two days in warm water, then assisted them by breaking open the shell and they never grew.  I think the eggs were unfertilized. I was so looking forward to having my very own dinosaur!

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Well, I soaked the eggs for two days in warm water, then assisted them by breaking open the shell and they never grew.  I think the eggs were unfertilized. I was so looking forward to having my very own dinosaur!

Hi Doren!

Did you leave them in water after hatching?  Those little guys need a freshwater environment in order to grow...

Monica

I want to thank Nimravis for the great blind trade.  Ralph is both generous and gracious.  I realized after I sent the box that a few of the items I meant o put in the pox were still sitting on my desk.  Ralph graciously said don't spend more on postage, save the items for the next trade.  Duplicates that I already had were added to my nephews collection on Easter.

#1 Titanosaur egg shell frag

#2 Xiphactinus audax vertebra, Kansas

#3Fish Jaw, Kansas

#4 mammoth ivory pieces, Florida

#5 Champsosaurus vertebra, hell creek

#6 ordivicion hash plate Indiana

#7 petrified wood, Madagascar

#8 Armadillo Skute, Florida

#9 Elrathia kingie, Utah

#10 Pecoters Ferns, Mazon Creek Pit 4

#11 Cyclus Americanus Mazon Creek Pit 11

#12 Exxella asherae Jellyfish, Mazon Creek pit 11

#13 Didontogaster cordylina "Tummy Tooth Worm", Mazon creekpit 11

#14 Skinnerelix leidyi, gastropods brute formation Nebraska

#15 modern Mako tooth

#17 Sand crystals,, South Dakota

#18 misc shells Florida

#20 pernopsis Trilobite, Utah

IMG_20170415_152424.jpg

IMG_20170415_152606.jpg

IMG_20170415_152639.jpg

IMG_20170415_152712.jpg

IMG_20170415_152730.jpg

IMG_20170415_152814.jpg

IMG_20170415_152840.jpg

IMG_20170415_152859.jpg

IMG_20170415_152940.jpg

IMG_20170415_153042.jpg

IMG_20170415_153133.jpg

IMG_20170415_153207.jpg

IMG_20170415_153253.jpg

IMG_20170415_153333.jpg

IMG_20170415_153556.jpg

IMG_20170415_153812.jpg

IMG_20170415_153850.jpg

IMG_20170415_154033.jpg

IMG_20170417_071511.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

International is tough because the postage from the USA is so high. I don't know why but it is so much cheaper to ship here. Canada is not too bad.

I think people are concerned because high postage means smaller items and smaller total number of items we can send .

I did an international trade and it was $14 to send one cave Bear tooth to Europe.

4 hours ago, Fossil Claw said:

I want to thank Nimravis for the great blind trade.  Ralph is both generous and gracious.  I realized after I sent the box that a few of the items I meant o put in the pox were still sitting on my desk.  Ralph graciously said don't spend more on postage, save the items for the next trade.  Duplicates that I already had were added to my nephews collection on Easter.

#1 Titanosaur egg shell frag

#2 Xiphactinus audax vertebra, Kansas

#3Fish Jaw, Kansas

#4 mammoth ivory pieces, Florida

#5 Champsosaurus vertebra, hell creek

#6 ordivicion hash plate Indiana

#7 petrified wood, Madagascar

#8 Armadillo Skute, Florida

#9 Elrathia kingie, Utah

#10 Pecoters Ferns, Mazon Creek Pit 4

#11 Cyclus Americanus Mazon Creek Pit 11

#12 Exxella asherae Jellyfish, Mazon Creek pit 11

#13 Didontogaster cordylina "Tummy Tooth Worm", Mazon creekpit 11

#14 Skinnerelix leidyi, gastropods brute formation Nebraska

#15 modern Mako tooth

#17 Sand crystals,, South Dakota

#18 misc shells Florida

#20 pernopsis Trilobite, Utah

You got spoiled!!! :o

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Fossil Claw said:

I did an international trade and it was $14 to send one cave Bear tooth to Europe.

That was to me :ninja:

But Dominic is right, international postage does scare many people... 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 hour ago, cheney416 said:

Sadly, nobody wants to trade with me TT I understand...:faint:

I am willing to make a small blind trade with you!

PM sent ;)

Max Derème

Here are the results of my blind trade with @Fossil Claw - received a lot of nice fossils to add to my collection, thanks again Dom.

1- Flexicalymene Trilobite (St. Leon, IN.)

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.70c9da866b736942f28decb5819542e4.JPG

2-Brachiopods (Lebanon, NY)

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.4d615f45ab24c7325790cab8140c7beb.JPG

3-Horse Tooth (Florida)

IMG_1785.thumb.JPG.8ce7a7c99f6ace51430fdf9a61fd8322.JPG

4-Archimedes Bryozoan (Sulfur, IN)

IMG_1786.thumb.JPG.99c303b27aea99102908cd2073ddc8c4.JPG

5- Brachiopods / Gastropods (St. Leon, IN)

IMG_1787.thumb.JPG.81c1bfb1a69d96e9d8e6930f4b19a03b.JPG

6-Misc. Shells (Florida)

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.c507558847390cf5b85b33d202062a5c.JPG

7- Horn coral, Brachiopod and Archimedes bryozoan (Sulfur, IN)

IMG_1789.thumb.JPG.56f69da89cfe9b2607f3da6746302882.JPG

8- Quartz Crystal

IMG_1790.thumb.JPG.26612cce82963523efce271abf680868.JPG

9- Horn Coral / Brachiopods (Paulding, OH)

IMG_1791.thumb.JPG.56737c6b651f6f446024ab72cd351f3b.JPG

10-Flexicalymene Trilobite (Mt. Orab, OH)

IMG_1792.thumb.JPG.856acb9e38009ad72d161d31cc0297f1.JPG

11- Coral / Brachiopods (Taylorsville, KY)

IMG_1793.thumb.JPG.84df919f9ad70dbb995fadf529425e49.JPG

12- Cephalopods (Louisville, KY)

IMG_1794.thumb.JPG.aa121befa9c9017adeb536fed785b101.JPG

13- 

Horn coral / Brachiopods (Paulding, OH.

IMG_1795.thumb.JPG.986506daf1ce4ba02721d6240e660eee.JPG