Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

I bought a few of them from a dealer some time ago. 

Huh, pretty cool. Never seen any of them offered for sale on the market. I got mine from an old collection.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

And here is my hoard from Ralph (Nimravis).

Hash plate of bryozoan, crinoids and brachiopods, a plethora of items from White River Formation of South Dakota, Mammoth ivory slivers and shark teeth from Florida, trilobites from Georgia, a modern Mako tooth and stingray barb, a trace fossil of water ripple marks and a slew of plastic storage containers. Thanks again Ralph

IMG_0224.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, caldigger said:

And here is my hoard from Ralph (Nimravis).

Hash plate of bryozoan, crinoids and brachiopods, a plethora of items from White River Formation of South Dakota, Mammoth ivory slivers and shark teeth from Florida, trilobites from Georgia, a modern Mako tooth and stingray barb, a trace fossil of water ripple marks and a slew of plastic storage containers. Thanks again Ralph

IMG_0224.JPG

Doren, it is always nice to trade with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my take on a South Korean trade with Hong (Cheney416). A cephalopod and rugose coral from Iowa, Indonesian amber, a Labradorite cabashon, a piece of amber with insect inclusion, a double terminated Quartz crystal from China and an extinct lungfish tooth from Morocco. Thank you Hong!

IMG_0247.JPG

It's a mighty impressive engagement ring...gee I didn't know you cared!

IMG_0248.JPG

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice additions to the collection. That quartz looks like someone polished the sides/faces. I've seen that done frequently. I'm sure the natural sides looked nice enough, but no, they have to be 'perfect', and someone needs a value-added job.

cabashon cabochon

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice additions to the collection. That quartz looks like someone polished the sides/faces. I've seen that done frequently. I'm sure the natural sides looked nice enough, but no, they have to be 'perfect', and someone needs a value-added job.

cabashon cabochon

Ah hum, I don't suppose I could blame that on auto-correct?  Yes it does seem to be a polished piece, but it's cool and I like it none the less.  I had actually been looking at the Lungfish teeth awhile back as an interesting addition. Hong provided me with a nice example so now I don't have to purchase one.  I hope he enjoys what I sent.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

37 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Ah hum, I don't suppose I could blame that on auto-correct?  ...

Not if there's no such word as cabashon!  ;)  You can always call them 'cabs' like the lapidary/rockhounds do.

Can't say I've ever seen a lungfish tooth.. sounds like a special thing. Any idea how old it is?

It is labeled as coming from the Kem-Kem beds of Morocco (Cretaceous).

OK, OK you got me, I misspelled a word, so shoot me!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Touched a nerve? I will be sure to pick on other people's misspellings and grammar (God knows there's a lot of it here), that way you won't feel singled out. :muahaha:

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Not if there's no such word as cabashon!  ;)  You can always call them 'cabs' like the lapidary/rockhounds do.

Can't say I've ever seen a lungfish tooth.. sounds like a special thing. Any idea how old it is?

You forgot to capitalize the first word in your fourth sentence. It is also preceded by two periods, so it is not an ellipsis. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Pedant. :P

Speaking of pedantic and pedantry... The etymological origin of pedagogue (and from which is derived pedagogy) is really "truant officer" (or rough equivalent in Ancient Greece). The idea of "walking" and thinking (from which pede comes from) can trace its origin to the Academy where Plato and later Aristotle presided. There is a whole school of though called "peripatetics" that means to  "wander around from place to place" just like philosophers do! 

This nerd alert has been brought to you by Kane. :P 

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Less serious that butchered spellings!

"Less serious THAN [comparative] butchered spellings" (optionally, using the singular form, "spelling," would be fine to denote general concept as opposed to individual instances). :P 

I grade hundreds of student essays every year, sit on a number of editorial boards, and worked in a publishing house. I'm the grammar and spelling fascist par excellence. :P 

Ok, I'm done with my good natured ribbing of you, Eric. :D At the end of the day, you and I both have an appreciation for proper spelling and grammar. :D 

Okay kids, let's take it outside!  If we want to have a grammar thread than by all means create one (separately!!!), but this is a trades thread so let's focus on the task at hand.  All righty then!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

This has gotten way out of hand, I only intended to point out the misspelling of an unusual word that people might like to know the proper spelling of (like capsaicin).... but I see I then made one or two steps over the line, and now look.

I'd love it if you'd delete the whole shebang from the point where I pointed out that mistake. No one is going to want to read this.

56 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

This has gotten way out of hand, I only intended to point out the misspelling of an unusual word that people might like to know the proper spelling of (like capsaicin).... but I see I then made one or two steps over the line, and now look.

I'd love it if you'd delete the whole shebang from the point where I pointed out that mistake. No one is going to want to read this.

Eric, there is no ill intention here. I was just ribbing you in good fun as a tit for tat kind of way (as the way I interpreted this, rightly or wrongly). This is not a grammar contest. Just being jocular. We've had our social fun and we can return to our regularly scheduled thread. ;) 

I apologize if you took this in a way I did not intend. Intention on the internet can suffer the usual loss of communicative nuance, and I obviously failed to take that under more careful consideration. I was not trying to slight you in any way - just ribbing a little out of playful camaraderie. :) 

Your intentions were solid and sound. And your occasional reminders to keep to proper spelling is not a bad thing. Of course, we must always be mindful of those for whom English is not their first language. 

If I offended you or caused any distress here on TFF, I apologize, and especially to you Eric if you felt I slighted you in any way. Heck, you should see the stuff John Brewer says to me- Ha! 

Are we good?

Here is what I receive from @caldigger.

Part of crabs, Gastropod, Turtle shell, Hooked tooth mako, Ammonite, Crinoid stems, Oreodont teeth, Brachiopod and sand shark tooth. These makes my collection to more cooooool!:yay-smiley-1: And I really love this Mako. Thanks caldigger!

20170902_204508.jpg

20170902_204534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the results of a very long prolonged trade with MikePocock. Several prepped ammonites, fossil shells, a couple of belemnites, some corals, he sent four fully articulated dinosaur skeletons with I'm going to say their coinciding coprolite (polished rocks) and a couple of unprepped ammonite nodules all from the Whitby coast. I am awaiting instructions from Mike as to proper way to open the nodules.

Thank you for the trade Mike!

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

It's a bit sleepy in here. Might have to put myself up for another trade :) 

I'm in!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils