Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

Glad you seem to like them! I hope you feel it was an adequate trade :) I enjoyed this!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Pictures from my end of the trade:

post-11650-0-31165400-1441936544_thumb.jpgpost-11650-0-42672600-1441936559_thumb.jpg

My favorites are all in the first photo :P As aforestated, I enjoyed this unique trading experience!

• I found this Informative 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Here are the final results of my "hoard".

First is from jgcox: Some very beautiful specimens of brachiopods, gastropods, trilobites, vertebrae and a fish fossil.

post-12286-0-17294000-1442097640_thumb.jpg

Second from Fossil Claw: Love the amber w/ buggies. Included were brachiopods, a burrow trace plate, crinoid stems, coiled trilobite, gastropod, amber w/ insects and a Chinese meteorite.

post-12286-0-62579200-1442097826_thumb.jpgpost-12286-0-72317000-1442097738_thumb.jpg

Third from minnbuckeye: Favorite out of this is Recepticulite (algae). Included in his box was a trilobite pygidium plate, many different corals, St. Claire ferns, brachiopods, gastropod steinkerns, crinoids, hash plates, large orthoceres piece, and a fossil recepticulite (algae).

post-12286-0-08420000-1442097892_thumb.jpg

Continued on next post.

Edited by caldigger

Cont.

post-12286-0-46698900-1442098082_thumb.jpg Can you believe this is algae?

post-12286-0-06271600-1442098135_thumb.jpg A monster Orthoceras, though Mike claims this isn't really big for their area.

And the last from JesusLover340: Don't really have much...What?! She gave me several straight cephlaopods, a sea urchin/ barnacle piece, petrified wood from both Arizona and Texas, a horse tooth, Bison antiquus bone, several fish teeth, shark teeth, vertebrae, turtle shell, ammonite, brachiopod, trilobite, dinosaur tooth, fossil insect wing, hash plate w/ multiple teeth.

post-12286-0-17153000-1442098289_thumb.jpg

Cont.

Edited by caldigger

The small triangular hash plate from Permian Oklahoma was marked fish tooth. It actually has a very small Squalicorax tooth, a small pointed fish tooth and I discovered (prepping) a very small Ptychodus tooth.- is this a different species than I normally see? Entire tooth is maybe 1/8" if that.

post-12286-0-86072700-1442098603_thumb.jpgpost-12286-0-71607100-1442098670_thumb.jpg

post-12286-0-01003700-1442098628_thumb.jpg

Edited by caldigger

I love the spirit of generosity and discovery this proposal has generated; win-win-win any way you look at it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Glad you enjoyed the trade :D Relieved, too, as I tend to think my collection isn't as interesting as many I see here :P

Loved the idea! Thank you!

I'd be scared to try a blind trade, but it looks like a worthwhile endeavor, especially if you do it with multiple partners (That sounded like something else, don't know how to rephrase it!)

Skyelar, don't fool yourself, you have some of the most interesting stuff of all - for some of us at least.

Glad you enjoyed the trade :D Relieved, too, as I tend to think my collection isn't as interesting as many I see here :P

Loved the idea! Thank you!

What is common for you to find often becomes mundane. To others, who have no access to the geology of your turf, they find even the throw backs a treasure. I for one have immensely enjoyed "common" fossils from other areas of the county. They sit in a display case with my most precious local finds. Even though I am preaching to you, I must admit I too am guilty of thinking others would not find my collection as interesting as others. As a result , I have not offered an Ordovician package up for bidding to benefit TFF. After trading with Caldigger, I think I will break free of my fear that no one will bid and offer up a package soon. Maybe when the snow begins to fly here in Minnesota.

Thank you Wrangellian :blush:

I am enjoying this little game so much, I would like to reopen the game to four more contestants.

It's easy, you put some fossils in a box and send it off. I do the same, no one knowing what the other is sending until you receive it. Chances are pretty good that you will get items you would not have the normal availability to get. It is a chance to build your collection and thin out your surplus at the same time.

If this sounds like fun to you, just give me a message and details will be worked out. It is the fun of the unknown with the anticipation of getting a surprise package in the mail. What say you?!

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...

Is the game still on??

I would be interested. I'm new to Texas and I've found some nice things and I believe in fair play

As you can check with a member I traded with. Simple and fun.

But I love the hunt more then anything and the cleanup if needed.

Let's have fun if your interested.

Mitch

The small triangular hash plate from Permian Oklahoma was marked fish tooth. It actually has a very small Squalicorax tooth, a small pointed fish tooth and I discovered (prepping) a very small Ptychodus tooth.- is this a different species than I normally see? Entire tooth is maybe 1/8" if that.

attachicon.gif014.JPGattachicon.gif012.JPG

If this is a Ptychodus tooth (and it looks like it to me) your hash plate can't be Permian. Ptychodus did not arise until the Cretaceous. Your has plate looks very similar to the Kamp Ranch Member (Turonian) in the Eagle Ford. I think the age may have been marked incorrectly.

Are you still up for a blind trade? I'm game...

Great idea.....I would suggest no Sauropod thigh bones be part of the consignments. Lets keep the fossils in the ounce or 1 - 2 pounds category versus tons, otherwise the postage may be prohibitive.

I'm in!!!!

Bruce

Hello all, I am always up for playing the trade game. However, at this moment I am attempting to recuperate from major spinal surgery I just went under on the first of December. I had complications which lead to a longer hospital stay. It will be a long recovery and reluctantly will have to decline playing for a few months. At this point, I can hardly move, let alone go through storage cases to put packages together. I will keep your inquiries on my message box and contact you when I feel I am able to function again.

Thank you for wanting to play.

caldigger

Edited by caldigger
  • I found this Informative 2

Hello all, I am always up for playing the trade game. However, at this moment I am attempting to recuperate from major spinal surgery I just went under on the first of December. I had complications which lead to a longer hospital stay. It will be a long recovery and reluctantly will have to decline playing for a few months. At this point, I can hardly move, let alone go through storage cases to put packages together. I will keep your inquiries on my message box and contact you when I feel I am able to function again.

caldigger

How awful :(

I wish you a speedy recovery!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

caldigger

Rest up and feel better.

Hi Caldigger,

Sorry to hear you are not well, wishing you a speedy and full recovery, hope your holiday season goes well

All the best

Regards

Mike

• 2 months later...

I propose a blind trade of fossils.

Edited by PFOOLEY

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hi Pfooley,

I'm up for a blind trade but the last one was not available to us in the UK, let me know if you can include me this time round.

Regards

Mike

Hi

I want to participate in a blind trade too, but i am in Portugal :( . I don't know if is possible.

Best Regards