Proposing A Blind Trade

caldigger

22 hours ago, will stevenson said:

@fifbrindacier yes hopefully, i think you will Like it :) I have one question, for the pristiophorus teeth, what makes them different from the regular sand tiger sharks teeth, as to me they just look like the blades of an odontaspidae of some sort

I don't know, i didn't identificated them, maybe @Al Dentecould know.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, open to a trade, especially if you have marine vertebrate material to trade for other material, i have quite a lot of nice stuff lined up, especially echinoids if you like those!

• 7 months later...

Hi Will,

Its been a while and our last trade was perfect so lets plan another!!

I'll get some pieces together this next weekend and let you know.

Regards

Bruce

9 hours ago, WATERLINE said:

Hi Will,

Its been a while and our last trade was perfect so lets plan another!!

I'll get some pieces together this next weekend and let you know.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I look forwards to our trade ;)  

thank!

Hey Will,

I have to ask what Era you are interested in (Paleo, Meso, or Caeno)? I have a nice variety of all.

Let me know....and i will need your mailing address in the UK too.

Thanks

B

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

It's been ages since I last did any trade here, so I will gladly engage in this exciting activity again :) Is anyone interested?

Regards,

Kasia

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...

Hi, i'd like to do a blind trade, is anyone interested ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Do people still trade on here? There has been no posts since 2023.

Cheers!

James

9 hours ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

Do people still trade on here? There has been no posts since 2023.

That is a good question.  The for sale forum does get some action.  With blind trades, care would need to be taken; to ensure that both parties have reasonable expectations, in both directions.  It wouldn't be fair, if it heavily favored one party; over the other.

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

That is a good question.  The for sale forum does get some action.  With blind trades, care would need to be taken; to ensure that both parties have reasonable expectations, in both directions.  It wouldn't be fair, if it heavily favored one party; over the other.

Do you think people should still trade on here?

Cheers!

James

2 hours ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

Do you think people should still trade on here?

I'm not opposed to it.  There just isn't much trading action.  It's a little bit surprising, I guess?

It is difficult to set expectations in an actual "blind" trade.  :headscratch:

Some people collect inverts, while others collect vertebrates. 

The types of vertebrates and invertebrates can be widely varying.  For instance maybe someone collects and preps crabs, (more sought after) versus those who collect corals, sponges, brachiopods or bivalves (Quite common). Or people who collect unidentifiable mammal bone chunks vs those who collect shark teeth,  or articulated fish fossils or dinosaur bones and teeth.  :shrug:

Disappointment is always a possibility unless there are some really good guidelines in place.  :unsure:

I don't understand why blind trading is a thing, personally, ... but, that is me. Not saying that these do not work. They obviously do.
I would just be cautious, and realize the Forum cannot be held responsible for any disappointment that may occur.

I personally, would just do straight up trades, if that is what you are after.  That way, you know what you are getting in advance.

It is much easier when your expectations are straightforwardly met, and you are then not as prone to disappointment.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe when people propose a blind trade they could list what they like to collect then people could get an idea of what to trade?

Cheers!

James

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, Fossildude19 said:

It is difficult to set expectations in an actual "blind" trade. 

Disappointment is always a possibility unless there are some really good guidelines in place.

Of course a blind trade can be a dissapointment but that is how you fill in your blind trade. And how 'blind' you make it. 

A lot has to do with expectations. Don't expect to get a museumpiece through a blind trade.

As I get out quite a lot I get a lot of material I do not use in my collection. A third or fourth ammonite of the same kind, then I'm not bothered to trade it. Exchanging a few pictures can also be a good indication of the quality of the trade. 

If a blind trade gave you what you wanted you could up the ante and do another trade. I have a few people I do blind trades with, for instance, once a year. With these people I do know I get nice stuff in return so I can send better stuff too.

A trick I use more often is sending a trade first, so the recipient can take his or her time to make a batch of equal value. Even then, a dissapointment can happen.

But I love to do it, so if there are people up for it I would be available for a trade! I would mainly have european ammonites and echinoids for trade and I am open for different fossils. 

Greetings Walter

• Enjoyed 1

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, badeend said:

Of course a blind trade can be a dissapointment but that is how you fill in your blind trade. And how 'blind' you make it. 

A lot has to do with expectations. Don't expect to get a museumpiece through a blind trade.

As I get out quite a lot I get a lot of material I do not use in my collection. A third or fourth ammonite of the same kind, then I'm not bothered to trade it. Exchanging a few pictures can also be a good indication of the quality of the trade. 

If a blind trade gave you what you wanted you could up the ante and do another trade. I have a few people I do blind trades with, for instance, once a year. With these people I do know I get nice stuff in return so I can send better stuff too.

A trick I use more often is sending a trade first, so the recipient can take his or her time to make a batch of equal value. Even then, a dissapointment can happen.

But I love to do it, so if there are people up for it I would be available for a trade! I would mainly have european ammonites and echinoids for trade and I am open for different fossils. 

Greetings Walter

Hi Walter, you up for another one? Pm me if you are, quite quickly though as I leave my fossil collection in 2 days ;)