Mosasaur Jaw Bone

Fossil Claw

Is this real vs the fake jaws with real teeth?

Looks similar to the real ones RJB posted for sale so I am leaning real jaw bone and teeth.

post-16815-0-11776800-1441112042_thumb.jpg

Photo is awfully small... :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Listed as 5 inches long.

Check the listing "Mosasaur Jaw bone with 4 teeth" for other pictures and description.

It doesn't look like the seller and I will agree on a price.

I think it looks quite real. I don't see anything suspicious on it. No sign of tampering.

It's not Mosasaur, but actually a nice fish jaw.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I disagree.

The matrix looks quite real. There is a lot of debris, bones and colour variation in it. Faked pieces of matrix often lack the larger bones and debris. They are also much more homogenous in colour.

The "jaw" bone itself looks to be one complete bone with no repair visible.

The only thing that is possibly dubious could be the teeth. The only teeth that might look a little fishy might be the two middle ones. But the colour seems to correspond with the bone and the teeth. The weird facet on the second tooth could just be damage.And there is too much debris inbetween the teeth for them to be fake. There are nodules and bones there. Fakes wouldn't have such a mess around it. These kinds of fish teeth are also quite fragile. Seeing as there is breakage but the lines seem to fit is just another indicator that the teeth are in situ.

So I'm standing by what I said. This is a real jaw. Fish that is. Definitely not Mosasaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It looks real to me. Doesn't feel mosasaur-ish to me though. Could be fish.

(as weird as it is to say this, the blue marker dabs are a good sign)

Ask the seller to take more GOOD photos for your sake.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I don't want to start second guessing myself. You guys bring up some good points, but it still doesn't look right to me. I would now love to see that in my hands and really scrutinize it. Even some better photos.

RB

• 6 months later...

It is not a mosasaur jaw but more likely a partial jaw of Enchodus, sabre toothed herring,most of the teeth you see from this fish species are the prominent fangs,this looks genuine but not mosasaur