Id Please! - Found In Hell Creek Formation Near Glendive, Mt

atrane

My 8 year old daughter found this and would very much like to know what it is. It is about the size of a fingernail.

post-19581-0-53429100-1441132854_thumb.jpg

post-19581-0-29769800-1441132858_thumb.jpg

Edited by atrane

Identifying bone fragments is not easy and we are going to need to start with sharp images and more views. Could be a process from a vertebra but hard to tell.

I'll see what I can do. I took a bunch of sharp photos, but the forum severely limited what I could upload and they became blurry when I cropped and resized. Thanks for trying though.

Get more light on it, and make sure the camera is focusing on the object; the background is sharper in these two, and there's a bit of motion blur too. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Identifying bone fragments is not easy and we are going to need to start with sharp images and more views. Could be a process from a vertebra but hard to tell.

I agree with troodon.. I see possibly a piece of vertebra of someone.

Welcome.

I hope you had a fun time at Glendive. One of my favourite areas to collect.

It's one of the few towns in which there are vertebrate fossils in the terrestrial Hell Creek Formation and , 10 minutes away, prolific ammonites, etc in the marine Pierre Shale. A dream town for for a fossil hunter to live in.

Welcome.

I hope you had a fun time at Glendive. One of my favourite areas to collect.

It's one of the few towns in which there are vertebrate fossils in the terrestrial Hell Creek Formation and , 10 minutes away, prolific ammonites, etc in the marine Pierre Shale. A dream town for for a fossil hunter to live in.

Lance Creek, WY has these two plus a small outcrop of Jurassic Morrison Fm and tons of White River. Glendive ain!'t got nuttin on Lance Crick. : )

Lance Creek, WY has these two plus a small outcrop of Jurassic Morrison Fm and tons of White River. Glendive ain!'t got nuttin on Lance Crick. : )

Yawn! Compared to out Alberta deposits (tongue sticking out).

Actually Glendive Pierre Shale is incredibly prolific if you know where to look and what to look for. I've loaded the day pack with a variety of dozens of excellent ammonites within just a few hours of poking around. For the most part the specimens aren't large but they pop out complete with lots of colour. It's like fishing ...a million places to drop in the line but a few special spots where the fish jump on the hook.