My Jurassic Park

Troodon

My collecting passion includes Dinosaurs and I have acquired and collected many nice specimens over the past 20 years. I thought I would share some of them and see what all my hard work has accomplished so that others can also enjoy and may learn a few things. This is not just going to be pictures.

Let me start off with a relatively new Raptor (at least in name) from Western North America:

Anzu wyliei is a big toothless Caenagnathid type dinosaur that was over 3 meters long. Its characterized by long arms with ripping hand claws that slice and dice. Like a big Ostrich on steroids. Before being described in 2014 this was called Chirostenotes sp.

post-10935-0-25430300-1441135765_thumb.jpg

I've been working on trying to put a hand together, a very difficult task. When you find a bone or acquire it just does not want to match, too big, too small, left no right. Cannot understand that :blink: Anyway this is how far I've gotten and its a good start. The size of the claws in the pictures are a bit deceptive, the hand is 20" long. The largest is 5" (12.7cm) that's a huge claw by itself. Digit I is the shortest like a thumb. The longest with the biggest claw is Digit II. Digit III has much smaller diameter bones (carpals) and the most.

post-10935-0-14901300-1441136013_thumb.jpg

This is a toothless dinosaur so the jaw obviously has no teeth. I have a partial mandible from a juvenile and one complete from an adult. They were examined by the Paleontologist that described this dinosaur and verified one that they were Anzu and that indeed were identical except for age.

Adult: top and bottom view

post-10935-0-05765600-1441135984_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-18110300-1441135988_thumb.jpg

Juvenile: top and bottom view

post-10935-0-73569200-1441135975_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-13985400-1441135980_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

The Anzu foot is your typical theropod Dinosaur with 4 Digits.

Again I'm trying to put a foot together and at least the metatarsals are associated. I know that because they are fused together. The foot is 27" long and the photograph does not show digit I.

post-10935-0-84117900-1441137772_thumb.jpg

Here are some isolated claws.

The hand claw is the largest I've ever seen and was happy to collect it. Six inches on the straight line.

post-10935-0-23835500-1441137994_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-49315600-1441137999_thumb.jpg

I added a Coke can to get a perspective on how big the claw is.

post-10935-0-93231700-1441138001_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Wow.....

And just like in the movie, your Jurassic Park features Cretaceous dinosaurs... : )

Very important to be accurate :D

? Was this guy a meat eater?

No, hard to eat flesh without teeth. Probably a fish eater with those built in spears in their hands.

Absolutely Amazing! How long have you been working on the hand/foot? Remarkable specimens.

Lester

Absolutely Amazing! How long have you been working on the hand/foot? .

Lester

Ha ha too long. :) Started getting serious after I had a couple of the hand claws about 5 years ago.

Ha ha too long. :) Started getting serious after I had a couple of the hand claws about 5 years ago.

Your dedication is obvious. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Some stunning claws! The 6 inch hand claw is off the charts beautiful!

I have to say I agree with you. Have not seen a larger one not to say it does not exist. My jaw dropped whgen I exposed it. Thanks

• 2 years later...

Have not added to this in a while just lazy in taking photos of my collection.   But I just got this claw in my mailbox yesterday and decided to add it.  I have to thank @hxmendoza for helping me out in obtaining the claw.

Not sure if this is a infant A. wyliei or a new species so I labeled as something different.  There are multiple Caenagnatoids in the Hell Creek from tiny to jumbo only one is described so we will take a wait and see attitude and show a few experts and see what they say.

5a51087464773_Cagnbabyclaw.thumb.jpg.86671b23b7ca065b022cbc53aa3337e9.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Have not added to this in a while just lazy in taking photos of my collection.   But I just got this claw in my mailbox yesterday and decided to add it.  I have to thank @hxmendoza for helping me out in obtaining the claw.

Not sure if this is a infant A. wyliei or a new species so I labeled as something different.  There are multiple Caenagnatoids in the Hell Creek from tiny to jumbo only one is described so we will take a wait and see attitude and show a few experts and see what they say.

5a51087464773_Cagnbabyclaw.thumb.jpg.86671b23b7ca065b022cbc53aa3337e9.jpg

You’re very welcome. Glad I could help. It’s a real beauty. 

• 4 months later...
53 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Those Anzu hand claws are stunning

They sure are! They look unrestored, which is super rare when dealing with any large dino claws. 

• 4 years later...
On 9/1/2015 at 5:47 PM, Troodon said:

No, hard to eat flesh without teeth. Probably a fish eater with those built in spears in their hands.

I've never thought of them eating fish, thats really interesting!

I think that they may have been mostly herbivorous but occasionally would take small prey and fish.

Saurian did a good job depicting them!

• Thank You 1