Albertosaurus And Parasaurolophus Diorama

Allaurasaurus

Hi everyone,
I am starting my first dinosaur model. A 1.40 scale scene of an Albertosaurus taking down a Parasaurolophus.
Here is the sketch I have made before starting the sculpt and a first picture of the armature as well. After a quick trip to the oven it should be ready for the next layer of clay ! I have also made the separate Albertosaurus armature, but will sculpt it when I'll be done with the Parasaurolophus.

post-18855-0-32347000-1441142889_thumb.jpg

The sketch is brilliant, and I am sure the finished sculpt will be more so!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Brilliant!

Keep us up to date on it!

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Incredible, please post the progression.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Ouch!

Down but not out. Most large prey animals aren't yet a goner until they are in the death grip of a pair of choppers.

I really like the dynamic feel of the drawing.

That's a really nice start!

I would say that the crest looks a little bit on the short side though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you all ! I will be working on it soon, and will post pictures !

That's a really nice start!

I would say that the crest looks a little bit on the short side though.

I think you are right, I am having a hard time trying to find the right size for the crest !

Thank you all ! I will be working on it soon, and will post pictures !

I think you are right, I am having a hard time trying to find the right size for the crest !

There isn't really a right size crest based on the fossil record to date....especially when just giving your Dinos an identity to the genus level. A longer or shorter crest might serve some artistic expression but either is fine for scientific accuracy. If the diorama is based on a specific known specimen and labeled as such then crest size might be more of an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !
Work has been a bit mad these days and I didn;t have much time to work on the diorama. But I made a little progress ! I hope you like it !

post-18855-0-81892300-1442021515_thumb.jpg

Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing the result.

Though are those fingers on the front paws I see? As far as I know Hadrosaur had a kind of mitten with only two free fingers on the side. There's a great variety of Hadrosaur mummies you could take inspiration from.

You may also find this site useful. It features a really complete baby Parasaurolophus skeleton with incredible preservation. It also had traces of the beak in the form of inprints, making it possible to reconstruct the beak is more detail.

http://dinosaurjoe.org/

How are you going to reconstruct the Albertosaurus? With feathers and lips? Or a more scaly creature with a toothy grin? Something inbetween maybe?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing the result.

Though are those fingers on the front paws I see? As far as I know Hadrosaur had a kind of mitten with only two free fingers on the side. There's a great variety of Hadrosaur mummies you could take inspiration from.

You may also find this site useful. It features a really complete baby Parasaurolophus skeleton with incredible preservation. It also had traces of the beak in the form of inprints, making it possible to reconstruct the beak is more detail.

http://dinosaurjoe.org/

How are you going to reconstruct the Albertosaurus? With feathers and lips? Or a more scaly creature with a toothy grin? Something inbetween maybe?

Thank you so much for this link ! It is fantastic ! I will be using it !!!

About its front paws, this is only for support I'll be using picture reference to sculpt on top of these 'fingers'.

In regards to the Albertosaurus, I am going to go for a feathery look, I am lookinf into the jaws and teeth to make it correct as well. I am planning to sculptu it with the jaws slightly open.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! So dynamic!

Wonderful work :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looking good :) I like how the two opponents are facing each other and Albertosaurus is got that killer face pretty much saying lunchtime.

Very good drawing and good start to the sculpture, looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:popcorn:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Archived