Chesapeake Shell With Unknown Formation From The Cne

JUAN EMMANUEL

I bought this shell fossil from a rock shop at the CNE because today they had free entrance for youths. It doesnt come lablled from what formation it originated from, but it said the locality was Chesapeake Bay and from the label Im assuming this is Pleistocene? I find this an interesting fossil to sit beside my Ordovician clams.

post-13300-0-85500200-1441160925_thumb.jpgpost-13300-0-31010500-1441160952_thumb.jpg

Edited by JUAN EMMANUEL

It does appear to be Chesapecten jeffersonius however it is from Lower Pliocene Zone 1 Yorktown Formation which is not exposed on the Chesapeake. It is more than likely from either the York or Potomac Rivers in Virginia.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

It actually might have too many ribs to be C. jeffersonius - check that publication, there's a bunch of different species that may be a better species level ID.

It actually might have too many ribs to be C. jeffersonius - check that publication, there's a bunch of different species that may be a better species level ID.

I counted the ribs and there's 11.