Odd Coral Type From Tampa

luxefaire

10 hours ago, Innocentx said:

A lot of similarities. The evidence continues to build.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/Paleolist/87/index.html

Are you aware that tabulate corals went extinct at the end of the Paleozoic?  That there is a 250 million year gap between the extinction of the true tabulates and the fossil reef at Tampa?  It is highly unlikely that tabulate corals such as Favosites persisted undetected anywhere in the world for 250 million years, popped up in a coral reef in Florida 4 or 5 million years ago, and then went extinct for good (none have been found in modern oceans).  It is much more likely that the resemblance is superficial, an artifact of the mode of preservation of a totally different coral.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

i remember that coming up on the front page don, thanks to both for keeping up....heres a dose of dummy for you don, is the reason the corals are called tabulate because they have these tabs in the tubes?....there is a lot of interesting info on that page from innocentx.  there is an advantage sometimes being as ignorant as me, but with a strong will to learn, because its hard to be embarrassed under those circumstances, and can lead to thoughts otherwise unconsidered.  I remember when I took on learning byzantine coinage, i was like : no way.  but it happened with persistence and so i tackled 4th crusade coins of the holy land, the ones they melted down church statues to make, real gnarly....I got them too eventually, and lots more now, so the coral will happen in direct proportion to the time i can spend with it.  i would like to identify this species though because i can then sell the specimens, you see, something banal but useful.

my best chance at id'ing this species is the pix added earlier, of the intact portion of the fossil.  I will continue to work on this and thanks again....

I am researching this type of coral now, as the piece i have with preserved exterior closely resembles these.....

Faviidae

300px-Closed_Brain_Coral_copy.jpg

Favites sp.

Taxonavigation

Superregnum: Eukaryota
Regnum: Animalia
Phylum: Cnidaria
Classis: Anthozoa
Subclassis: Hexacorallia
Ordo: Scleractinia
Familia: Faviidae

btw i added more pix to the blog of coral types, two years after and i just now getting to the information aspect of it....b

Hey Bill, I probably missed something somewhere in these threads but has Roger Portell at UF seen this stuff and offered any ideas/help? 

Regards, Chris 

hi plantguy, i dont know if he has or not, i would be interested to speak with him..... i am tracing down a type that fits very well the preserved piece of this material and it is here:   http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/species_factsheets/species_factsheet_summary/3033/

favites billii...joke just a joke....but favites for sure

any other information greatly appreciated, i wonder if the favites like this from the reef there at ballast point is actually another type?  i guess that is my next fun, close comparisons, i am learning a lot, thanks for replies....b

As I was writing that if you really wanted an id contact Roger, Chris replied.

The best website I have found for Cenozoic coral identification is NMITA's Zooxanthellate site NMITA LINK however as you can see by the id keys for individual species it is a highly specialized field.  At best you might be able to id to genus as it is heavily dominated by Plio-Pleistocene species.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Yep, as Mike says contact Roger as hes not seen anything like that from that locale and hes not able to place/ID them based on the 5 photos I sent. closeup/cross section, etc. He would need to see them in hand. Hopefully you all can arrange something. Here's his email portell@flmnh.ufl.edu

If you are able get an ID please let us know--even if you arent! Thanks for the post---interesting! 

Regards, Chris 

thank you Plantguy i will write roger now....i will keep this running and should be able to get an id....i have 3 or 4 other types that seem questionable as far as their cataloguing goes, so once this one is done....take care and thanks again....b

On 1/3/2017 at 3:50 PM, luxefaire said:

is the reason the corals are called tabulate because they have these tabs in the tubes?

They make plates (called tabulae) that divide their tubes into chambers as they grow.

image014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks trisk, these fossils from Tampa certainly have something like a tabulate form within, but thats apparently not possible, and has occurred elsewhere geologically versus biologically...i am happy I was able to get the one specimen with the intact polyps, as pictured earlier, and I am including more pictures here with highlights of the actual corals that allowed me to make a tentative attribution of Favites (billii....hee hee)

DSC00079.JPG

DSC00079a.JPG

Archived