Cross Section Of Horn Coral

The QCC

The photos show a thin section I made from a Horn Coral fossil I purchased from the Rock Shed. Two thin section slides were made from the cut off section.

The fossil is approx. 12mm across the section.

Photo 1 is the fossil after cutting off two sections.

post-18968-0-87401800-1441219276_thumb.jpg

Photo 2 is a complete scan of a thin section at 20x mag. in Plane Polarized Light

post-18968-0-75844800-1441219275_thumb.jpg

Photo 3 is is a complete scan of same area at 20x mag. with Crossed Polars

post-18968-0-57080400-1441219276_thumb.jpg

Photo 4 is a detail at 40x mag. with Crossed Polars and a Lambda plate in the light path.

post-18968-0-38773200-1441219275_thumb.jpg

The thin section slides were photographed with a Canon 5D MkII camera with a Meiji 2.5x projection lens on a Labomed LB-592 polarizing microscope.

Post processing was in Adobe Lightroom.

• I found this Informative 2

Congrats. Those are really well done.

I use to make thin sections and acetate peels in the lab and it could be technically challenging. Did you learn to do those on your own?

Also, kudos on the photography. We'd have to send everything to the photo guys who used film...then hoped everything could be reproduced accurately in print. Often, if the detail was difficult to bring out, everything was hand drawn!

Anyways. Wow! You are in Canada, so If you are looking for some particular fossil or microfossils to experiment with, let me know and I'll send you some freebies.

Thank you for the nice comment.

Yes, I learned to make thin sections the hard way. Reading articles on the web and experimenting.

Many thanks for the offer of fossils. I would certainly like to make thin sections from small pieces. Just no dinosaur jaws.

Presently I buy them from The Rock Shed in the USA.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice sections and photos. That's a real skill. Is this your hobby, or do you do that kind of thing professionally? I bet you could pick up some $$ doing that on contract for researchers.

Don

I make thin sections as a job to justify having a big polarizing microscope and a large format printer.

In my spare time I am retired.

As for selling thin section slides, the Chinese have under cut the market. I can purchase credible thin section slides from China for less than $10.00CDN

• 4 weeks later...

Superb work! I have flat laps and buckets of things I'd dearly love to have sectioned and photographed, but haven't been able to justify the cost of a polarizing scope.

If you're looking for a research project, you're under 2 hours from Arkona, home to dozens of coral species, easy collecting. Sorting them out would be entertaining.

Small fragments of Devonian armored fish have amazing microscopic internal structure that would be gorgeous.

Ontario "Petoskey Stones" would also make cool images. They're cool colonial corals, little known from Ontario, famous from Michigan.

I look forward to seeing more of your images!