Troodon

Can You Identify Tyrannosaur Teeth From North America?

Runner64

Once again, another great guide to dinosaur teeth. Will definetly be looking for mislabeled teeth now.

ZiggieCie

I hope they mark this for the hundreds of questions presented on is this a T-Rex tooth? :goodjob:

PFOOLEY

I acquired it as a "raptor" tooth from the Lance Formation...the animal was described as being like Velociraptor.

I have admired it for some time and started doubting its label... ...then, your posts.

I am thinking this is a Tyrannosaur tooth.

post-11220-0-50616800-1441420263_thumb.jpg post-11220-0-10528000-1441420253_thumb.jpg

Edit: minimized spacing at end of post.

Edited by PFOOLEY

Troodon

Beautiful tooth. We're almost there, need to see serrations on thge anterior side. Are you sure its Lance,looks more like Judith River preservation

PFOOLEY

Beautiful tooth. We're almost there, need to see serrations on thge anterior side. Are you sure its Lance,looks more like Judith River preservation

Thanks, I like it. A number of years ago, I traded some Smithsonite for my first dinosaur fossils...this is one of them. The label said "Raptor tooth, Lance Formation"... that's as sure as I can be. ;)

Troodon

What I expected but it really does not matter its too fat and not enough recurve for it to be a raptor. You made a good deal, since you may be the proud owner of a Tyrannosaur tooth but I do need to see the anterior serrations. Want to make sure its not a type a dromaeosaur.

PFOOLEY

I don't see serrations...need to get closer.

Troodon

Their probably worn, do you have a scope?

PFOOLEY

Ooooh, they're there. :)

post-11220-0-08222900-1441424238_thumb.jpg

Troodon

Nice photo, serrations a bit worn but I'm seeing what I need to (similar serrations on both sides). So it looks like you have a tyrannosaurid tooth, congratulations. If we believe it came from the Lance and being that plump, not compressed its a good chance its a maxillary tooth of a very young Rex. :) Label it as you choose.

Over the years I've picked up many small teeth labeled raptor simply because of size

PFOOLEY

Thank you for your informative post on what to look for.

Troodon

You made my day, that what those type of posts are for. Thank you

-Andy-

I just got a new T-Rex mandible tooth, so here's some pics as reference if you're ever getting one yourself.

post-4888-0-28496700-1441436740_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-04052700-1441436749_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-16735700-1441436752_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-10454100-1441436755_thumb.jpg

Indications of it being T-Rex are the size (3 3/4"), thickness, D-shape profile seen from third picture, and oval cross-section.

Troodon

Beautiful tooth and you need to look at nothing more than size, it says Rex no analysis needed. :)

By the way, teeth from the mandible are called Dentary teeth and I would lean toward yours being a Maxillary tooth simply because its a bit compressed at the root. Dentary teeth are more oval. Either way its a wonderful addition to your collection.

-Andy-

Beautiful tooth and you need to look at nothing more than size, it says Rex no analysis needed. :)

By the way, teeth from the mandible are called Dentary teeth and I would lean toward yours being a Maxillary tooth simply because its a bit compressed at the root. Dentary teeth are more oval. Either way its a wonderful addition to your collection.

Thanks for the analysis! You and other collectors should put some pics of their own Rex as well.

It'd be great reference to others.

Troodon

Thanks for the analysis! You and other collectors should put some pics of their own Rex as well.

It'd be great reference to others.

Agreed would love to see other collectors. I will put mine up.

-Andy-

Bumping this useful thread with pics of confirmed T-Rex teeth I found off Ebay.

Teeth 1 - Harding County, South Dakota

3.15 inches, sold

post-4888-0-74708100-1449977205_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-85199100-1449977206_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-88305000-1449977207_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-61637900-1449977208_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-40342400-1449977209_thumb.jpg

Teeth 2 - Carter County, Montana

3.2 inches, sold

post-4888-0-41581500-1449979104_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-27418900-1449979105_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-72100000-1449979106_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-55892200-1449979107_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-05577500-1449979108_thumb.jpg

Troodon

Two nice teeth. No guide needed for these two bad boys. Top one is beautiful

AnatomicFlack

Hey Guys, I'm very new here, but been collecting for a bit. I'm nowhere near any fossil sites, so my "collecting" is all done online.

I actually purchased that second tooth shown above.

I have a few other T-Rex teeth that are pretty much undisputed, but I have a few I would like to get your opinion on if that's ok.

I'm going to just share a shot of my Tyrannosaur/Theropod shelf here and wait before I bombard you guys with images of the teeth for identification. I can handle the macro photography of them, but which angles would best help positive identification?

YIdaCz7.jpg

You can see the tooth mentioned on the rear right of the glass dome. It's the largest tooth I have, but the one on the rear left in the dome is still my favorite at just about 2.5" but has a nice heft and classic shape to the serrations. One of the specific teeth (in question) is the one to the far right of the dome... I bought it from a seller who actually acquired it in trade, many years ago, from Pete Larson. The tooth is very heavily reconstructed/restored though, but the shape to me feels too narrow to be T-Rex.

I also figure any shots I take, that are definitely T-Rex, could certainly help others in future to accurately identify other teeth.

Happy to have found the community.

-Nick

Edited by AnatomicFlack

Troodon

Nice collection, if you would like an opinion on a specific tooth please take photos of both sides and the base so I can get a good look at it.

Edited by Troodon

AnatomicFlack

Thanks. I will post some pics tonight.

-Andy-

Nick! You are the one who bought the Pete Larson tooth!

I was bidding against you haha.

Fantastic collection btw. First time I've seen any collector(besides Troodon) with enough Rex to make a whole section on his own.

AnatomicFlack

Hey Andy... Sadly the history of the tooth ended up more interesting than the actual tooth. You'll see from the pics.

I have all the images I snapped tonight here: (I didn't want to overload the thread with too many photos, so I'm only going to post one side profile, and root shot from each tooth, the album has both side profiles, and on the larger teeth the carina profiles)

http://imgur.com/a/P4yH9

(For anyone interested in being able to make out individual denticles (not kidding), here is the full resolution album)

http://imgur.com/a/FFYtE

Here is the whole collection:

nh5JM9M.jpg

Here is tooth #1: 1.2" Tooth

nNNYwzY.jpg

gvEtmkn.jpg

Here is tooth #2: 2" Larson Tooth

ymlVEJI.jpg

Z6PSR34.jpg

Here is tooth #3: a 1.15" Tooth Tip

mfxsn56.jpg

FuvLTq2.jpg

Here is tooth #4: a 0.85" Tooth Tip

wufyrpQ.jpg

38f54ho.jpg

Just for fun... here are a couple pics of my two favorite teeth.

2.5"

Kz9quMj.jpg

Gx74n9S.jpg

2" Pre-Max

fJGbXxu.jpg

14Susk6.jpg

I'm happy to try and take other shots, of these or the other teeth, if they would be helpful others identify in the future.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Edited by AnatomicFlack

Troodon

Nick took a look at the four teeth you had a question on.

Tooth #1 I would lean toward it being a T-rex, probably a maxillary tooth.

Tooth #2 the Larsen tooth I would label it as a Tyrannosaurid. Reason, the restoration and condition has altered some of the diagnostic features I look at the base and tip. The tooth is also compressed with fine serrations which do not help the case for Rex. Could be one but not a slam dunk for me why I said Tyrannosaurid.

Tooth #3 & 4 Identifying teeth based on tips is very problematic simply because you need to see the whole tooth to accurately make that call. I would lean toward #3 being a Rex because of the bulk, shape of serrations and that they go around the tip. I'm not that confident with #4 and label it as Tyrannosaurid.

Again nice collection.