Identification Tyrannosaurid Teeth From Canada & United States

Troodon

On 9/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, -Andy- said:

In 2018, Dr Carr mentioned that D. torosus and A. libratus is found in the JRF

Link: https://vertpaleo.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/SVP-2018-program-book-V4-FINAL-with-covers-9-24-18.pdf

Interestingly, he used the name Albertosaurus libratus instead of Gorgosaurus libratus, but that aside - is this enough to prove that Daspletosaurus torosus and Gorgosaurus libratus are indeed described in the JRF?

Screenshot_20220923-114414_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

SVP meetings offer interesting insights but they are too expensive to attend and hopfully items get published.  Will be interesting to see what comes  out from that poster but that was in  2018...still waiting.

I think they are present but not described.  Another open question is which Daspletosaurini is present?

This is the view published by Tom Holtz in 2021 when he was trying to size theropods.  So if he not being specific, I dont think we should be.

I think there are papers in the works so be patient.

Screenshot_20220926-144526_Drive.jpg.90c474d922e47e89bec3a223571b85fc.jpg

On 9/4/2015 at 5:26 AM, Troodon said:

However, if you are the proud owner of tooth around 4

Hi, Dear Troodon
I got a question, about this.
when I see the size of Daspletosaurus from Wikipedia in the description part. there said, " Adults could reach a length of 8–9 meters (26–30 ft) from snout to tail". And I also saw the size of Albertosaurus(9-10m) and Gorgosaurus(8-9 m), they are almost the same length as Daspletosaurus.

However, in your discussion of the Daspletosaurus tooth in the above sentence. I think this means a part of Daspletosaurus will have such large teeth(Approxi. 4 inch) that Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus can't have. Then, it could imply the Daspletosaurus that will bigger than Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus.

Therefore, I wonder why there is such a big difference in teeth, because obviously they are almost the same size and the time of their existence was also almost close(Daspletosaurus79.5–74 Ma, Gorgosaurus 76.6–75.1 Ma, Albertosaurus 71–68 Ma). Was it because Wikipedia had made a mistake in describing the size of the Daspletosaurus? Or do they have some differences that are not easy to see. 

Thanks for your help and answer.

have a lovely day.

330px-Albertosaurus.png

Gorgosaurusscale.png

330px-Daspletosaurus-Scale-Diagram.svg.png

4 hours ago, ChrisMouM said:

think this means a part of Daspletosaurus will have such large teeth(Approxi. 4 inch) that Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus can't have.

Please show me where I said that?

What I said in reference to a Gorgosaurus comparison,  not Albertosaurus is "you are the proud owner of tooth around 4" its fair to say its probably from a Daspletosaurus. " I said that because Daspletosaurus had a bigger skull but I also said it's hard to differentiate teeth from these two Tyrannosaurids

29 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Please show me where I said that?

What I said in reference to a Gorgosaurus comparison,  not Albertosaurus is "you are the proud owner of tooth around 4" its fair to say its probably from a Daspletosaurus. " I said that because Daspletosaurus had a bigger skull but I also said it's hard to differentiate teeth from these two Tyrannosaurids

Thanks, man for your help. 
So, Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus could have almost the same length between 8-10 m. But, the Daspletosaurus had a bigger skull that allows their teeth(crown) to got 4inch.right?

I'm far from a Daspletosaurus expert but its not about length they have more bulk than Gorgo.  I've seen some pretty large teeth in maxillas of Daspletosaurus which you do see on Gorgosaurus.  The big ones are more banana like

Pretty rare to see super big teeth most fall into the 2.5 inch or less range

Screenshot_20221111-063132_Drive.thumb.jpg.449c83da39f0ebb2d8b3b0ffafe277d9.jpg

Screenshot_20221111-063512_Drive.jpg.4ccb0c285791ef5f6b2ff6906064c96d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The average range for most adult Daspletosaurus specimens is 9m but there are a few specimens from the Judith River Fm (although Daspletosaurus isn’t presently described from the formation) that are 10m in size. But as Troodon has said it’s more about the bulk they have compared to the two Albertosaurinae.

Edited by dinosaur man
  • Thank You 1

Also from SVP,  E. Warshaw a research associate at the Badland Dinosaur Museum presented a poster on a new possible Daspletosaurus specimen (BDM 107) that appears to be an intermediate between D. horneri and D. torosus.  A more interesting discussion was that he argued for a direct lineage from Daspletosaurus to Tyrannosaurus.

All I know....but believe the specimen is from the Judith River Formation

Screenshot_20221119_070450_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2c5f236cfc0af889666acdf533165296.jpg

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Also from SVP,  E. Warshaw a research associate at the Badland Dinosaur Museum presented a poster on a new possible Daspletosaurus specimen (BDM 107) that appears to be an intermediate between D. horneri and D. torosus.  A more interesting discussion was that he argued for a direct lineage from Daspletosaurus to Tyrannosaurus.

All I know....but believe the specimen is from the Judith River Formation

Screenshot_20221119_070450_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2c5f236cfc0af889666acdf533165296.jpg

Will this new specimen become the evidence for the evolution of D. torosus to D. horneri ?

1 hour ago, AranHao said:

Will this new specimen become the evidence for the evolution of D. torosus to D. horneri ?

Thats what the presenter indicates.  Will need to see what is said when and if its published

• Troodon changed the title to Identification Tyrannosaurid Teeth From Canada & United States
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I bought this tooth nearly ten years ago as a Albertosaurus tooth from the Two Medicine formation, Montana, U.S.A. Whilst updating my labels I have learnt that Albertosaurus is not found in the Two Medicine Formation. As a result, i am asking if anyone can ID this tooth (i know it is very difficult). I believe it is either a Distal Maxillary or a Distal Dentary tooth.

The MC is 18 whilst the DC is 16 which gives it a DSDI of 1.125.

The tooth is 2.90cm tall and the base of it is 1.22cm by 0.86cm.

Didn't want to clog up this feed with photos so here is a link:

https://imgur.com/a/lxNPPsc