Show Us Your Non-Typical Display

IonRocks

My personal weird display, a trilobite in a clear plastic dome. The dome was actually packaging for a small portable speaker, so the metal bottom (originally the top) twists off.

Edit: forgot to add that I glued it to the lid using a dab of hot glue, rather important step. Easy to remove if needed, don't have to worry about it coming off otherwise.

post-19394-0-74945200-1441501458_thumb.jpg

Edited by IonRocks

I think a collection placed in various sized and shapes of apothecary jars would give a cool vintage look for species specimen jars. Adding old style labels with the species listed on would be a nice way to identify the item. Combine these with some larger pieces on a bookcase with some older books would be very interesting to me.

3621f30a04a18bab_3198-w217-h217-b1-p10--

The smaller jars are good for individual teeth or a bunch of small teeth. There are 2 gallon apothecary jars with 10 inch diameter for larger items or more small or mixed size stuff.

I use a similar concept. I go to Goodwill and pick up various wine, liqueur, etc. glasses or other small containers for a few cents each. Then I fill each with some small group of fossils... The more common small Dino bones, raptor teeth, champ vertebrae, scales, croc teeth, etc.

This way little 'stuff' isn't all tucked away in plastic trays. If someone is visiting, I can give them a few specimens.

It looks a bit classier than in the photos. I just use a few glasses together in groups so it doesn't look too cluttered.

post-19254-0-96921000-1441512307_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-91595900-1441512323_thumb.jpg

That's pretty cool, decorative way to elevate your specimens

So true. I will also give it a try. Also odd sized piles of different book thickness.

Thanks. I stole the idea from another forum member. These are all 100 to 140 year old fossil/geology books.

Edited by Fossil Claw

There's an old thread on the forum somewhere in which members show a number of different displays - great thread I haven't seen bumped in a while. Someone used an old television (minus the guts) as a case.

We've all seen riker mounts, and glass cases, so show us you're weirdest display!

Thanks. I stole the idea from another forum member. These are all 100 to 140 year old fossil/geology books.

I like it for the looks but also because a book in a display is more likely to be picked up and actually opened. I was just getting out some books for a display and started to flip through them. An 1860's Smithsonian publication with lots of plates and info on

Hadrosaurus foulkii....spent an hour or so going over it when, otherwise, it may have remained unopened for another 20 years. I try to display as many of my specimens as possible...items can easily be boxed away and 'out of sight, out of mind'.

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

We need a bigger shelve . Sharks head v ammonites display. Fun

This takes the cake!

---------------------------

8.thumb.jpg.ce37ee439e7580920f545deb7ca3cb1f.jpg

My predator corner.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Predator corner is completely different to pets corner I think. Great display and amazing fossils.

good work

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

This takes the cake!

---------------------------

8.thumb.jpg.ce37ee439e7580920f545deb7ca3cb1f.jpg

My predator corner.

I really like your Dimetrodon tooth . Dimetrodons are for me one of the most iconic creatures ever to live. I have had for many years a nice but tiny claw and countless plastic toys. 

IMG_0452.JPG

I filled an antique apothecary beaker with fossil shark teeth.  The beakers ("footed beaker") aren't too expensive on ebay.  My kids get one every time they come to my office.

4id3mh.jpg

Shark teeth in a round shadowbox.

2r39o8z.jpg

59bafb4d40984_GreenRiverSardine.thumb.jpg.8c1a36c06b223a1b208c6c4d7d960b6f.jpg

There are some great ideas here. I like the children's blocks and the books and that round shadowbox is beautiful. I enjoy seeing old threads pop up again now and then.

Here's a little display of mine with a fossil fish in a sardine can. It could be trimmed better though. I actually worked for this sardine company one summer long ago. I mopped the floors a lot, squeegeeing fish guts into a hole in the floor so they could drop down into the ocean. Boy, fishing was good off that pier!

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

17 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I really like your Dimetrodon tooth . Dimetrodons are for me one of the most iconic creatures ever to live. I have had for many years a nice but tiny claw and countless plastic toys. 

I love Dimetrodon too. Was lucky to get that tooth.

16 hours ago, aplomado said:

Lovely ideas here!

I am using an antebellum copy of Lyell's Principles of Geology to display an Oreodont skull.

I've seen this picture before! Always wanted to use an old book for a display stand but never got around to it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!