Exotic Dinosaur Teeth

Runner64

On 11/14/2020 at 3:59 PM, Suchomimus said:

Speaking of smaller teeth and wanting to keep this here alive:

4.1.JPG.da9119715d6640b0546be839192692db.JPG4.2.JPG.24681c851bc3c1474cffd9e076ef698e.JPG

Iguanodontia indet.

East Sussex, UK

Bexhill

Hastings Beds

Wadhurst Clay

Cretaceous (Valanginian)

Wow that sure is tiny!  What is the size of it?

One of my tiniest dino teeth.

An ornithopod from Hastings UK. Not the best photo, but its got nice detail to it.

Screenshot_20201118-115012_Gallery.jpg

On 18.11.2020 at 3:19 AM, Runner64 said:

Wow that sure is tiny!  What is the size of it?

It is really small, but with the length of 2.5 mm still larger than the Hypsilophodontidae  tooth, which measures only 1.5 mm – no fossils for the showcase.

One of those indeterminate theropod tooth from the early Cretaceous Cherves-Richemont Quarry (145.5 - 140.2 mya) of Cherves-de-Cognac, France

I was told this could be an Allosauroid indet. but I have no idea how to determine its ID. I guess if we used process of elimination it could also a Megalosauroid indet.

Rare-French_1.jpg

Rare-French_10.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

24 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

One of those indeterminate theropod tooth from the early Cretaceous Cherves-Richemont Quarry (145.5 - 140.2 mya) of Cherves-de-Cognac, France

I was told this could be an Allosauroid indet. but I have no idea how to determine its ID. I guess if we used process of elimination it could also a Megalosauroid indet.

Rare-French_1.jpg

Rare-French_10.jpg

lovely tooth. I'd love to add a French tooth.

4 hours ago, Suchomimus said:

It is really small, but with the length of 2.5 mm still larger than the Hypsilophodontidae  tooth, which measures only 1.5 mm – no fossils for the showcase.

That has to be the smallest dinosaur tooth I’ve ever seen then! Very cool

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

lovely tooth. I'd love to add a French tooth.

FF7_Yuffie is right, lovely tooth!

7 hours ago, Runner64 said:

That has to be the smallest dinosaur tooth I’ve ever seen then! Very cool

I have seen pictures of even smaller teeth, painstaking work to look for them!

The teeth from the Jurassic of Morocco are really nice, by the way!

10 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Rare-French_1.jpg

I don't really understand these theropod teeth from Cherves. All I had seen are like this one, very finely serrated, lingually inclined and sometimes with enamel fluting which makes me think they could be basal Spinosaurids?

Here is a very Spinosaurid (Baryonychine?)-like tooth I had. Flutting, very fine serrations, not very laterally compressed, little distal carina curvature - pretty typical of early spinosaurids. Cherves locality is Earliest Cretaceous (Berriasian), ~20 my older than Baryonyx, so it is logical to assume that spinosaurid teeth at that point were not entirely specialized yet and still had traits of typical megalosaurids.

image.thumb.png.84a00fdb7459ae44ab22e6edc0d606b7.png

However, teeth like yours - the ones without any fluting I am not sure about. Serrations and almost all other features are very similar to the potential spino teeth but I am not sure if  lack of fluting can be explained by positional variation or whether it is diagnostic. I can't find any information about spinosaurids from the Berriasian OR about theropods from Cherves. There is a Late Jurassic Ostafrikasaurus, but I believe it is currently considered a ceratosaur. Who knows, maybe in 5 years these teeth will turn out to be from Notosuchian crocs.

image.thumb.png.8146f9b4e9af3f76e5b38048ed67fc8b.png

The Tooth Fairy

52 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Who knows, maybe in 5 years these teeth will turn out to be from Notosuchian crocs.

Interesting I have heard several suggestions on croc on these teeth too.  Unfortunately, there is just not a lot of info out right now to make a decision.  Love both teeth you posted and I can certainly see some affinities to a basal spinosaurid in your first tooth.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:16 AM, -Andy- said:

Rare-French_1.jpg

I've always thought this morphology was an Allosaurus type tooth.   I just never took the time to confirm it but decided to do so with the characteristics off of one of the teeth in my collection. Matches your pretty closely.   The best person to comment on it was  C. Hendrickx so I emailed him.  These are his comments:

"Yes, that looks like an Allosaurus/allosaurid type of tooth to me. Only a phylogenetic analysis can confirm this though but that's what I would say. And it's not surprising given that the fossiliferous deposits of Cherves-de-Cognac are Berriasian and we have allosaurids in the Tithonian of the Iberian Peninsula. So, pretty logical to me."

BTW very nice tooth

@Runner64

@Anomotodon

@DD95

• I found this Informative 5

This weekend I want to show you a sauropod tooth which was found in western France – that is what I was told where it is from, at least.

Maybe someone can help me regarding an ID or a provenance for this tooth. It is from my very early, naive days of collecting – feel free to let me know what you do think about it:

5fc2d6dfbf73b_France1.jpg.894bbc5625d9ed37dd6b9933980a76d4.jpg5fc2d6f308a68_France5.thumb.jpg.ed1ebf5da91dc274038a66a720247d84.jpg5fc2d6f3e971e_France6.jpg.531300b75ab2487c67ad401258110ad8.jpg

34 minutes ago, Suchomimus said:

This weekend I want to show you a sauropod tooth which was found in western France – that is what I was told where it is from, at least.

Maybe someone can help me regarding an ID or a provenance for this tooth. It is from my very early, naive days of collecting – feel free to let me know what you do think about it:

There are several jurassic and early Cretaceous areas it might fit.  Suggest you contact François Escuillié (Eldonia) who might be a good source and is familar with and published on French material.  Nice tooth BTW.

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

There are several jurassic and early Cretaceous areas it might fit.  Suggest you contact François Escuillié (Eldonia) who might be a good source and is familar with and published on French material.  Nice tooth BTW.

Thank you, I will do so!

I will contribute with this unique multi coloured Baryonyx tooth which is easily one of my favourite teeth I own. I haven’t seen a tooth from the Isle of Wight in this colour anywhere else 

C1C542A8-9585-4439-A883-8339B8302C8B.jpeg

56C5DAE0-A0EB-431B-8C27-EC46DA83F6EB.jpeg

4D9811C8-E742-4738-A159-D484E9BD4DA8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, paulyb135 said:

I will contribute with this unique multi coloured Baryonyx tooth which is easily one of my favourite teeth I own. I haven’t seen a tooth from the Isle of Wight in this colour anywhere else 

C1C542A8-9585-4439-A883-8339B8302C8B.jpeg

56C5DAE0-A0EB-431B-8C27-EC46DA83F6EB.jpeg

4D9811C8-E742-4738-A159-D484E9BD4DA8.jpeg

Lovely tooth, and such nice, clear serrations.