papejl

Hello. We did some exploring yesterday and found our way to the St Johns River in Deland. I love shells and picked a nice heavy fossil up that was lying near the water in the sand. Picture is attached. I think it is a Spiny Jewel Box without its spines but it is at least 2.5" and I can not find any documentation that said they were that big. Can anyone tell me if it might be something else?

Thank you.

post-19645-0-20072900-1441901178_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

As I saw your post, I went outside my house and took this photo. This is one of the smaller Spineys that I found on a field trip at SMR Aggragates 5 miles due west of Sarasota. If you EVER get the opportunity....jump!

post-2220-0-26312100-1441909357_thumb.jpg

The smallest are around 2 inches in diameter with numerous ones 3-4 inches. I put together a group of 15 3.5 to 4.0 inch shells my hunting partner to sell on ebay.

SMR is in the Tamiami Formation with 3-4 mya shells. They were just bigger then...The size today rarely exceeds 1.25 inches.

SS

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

In a word...beautiful, in two words...beauty full. Thank you SS. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

In four words: "BE YOU TEE FULL" :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!