Crinoid Stems In Thin Section

The QCC

Photo1
The smaller piece was used to make the cross section and was approx 8.7mm in diameter.
The larger piece was approx. 15mm long and 6mm in diameter. This piece was used to make the trans (along its length) section.
This photo was taken using a Canon SX50 HS. The Canon SX50 can focus at ridiculously close distances. In this case 4.6mm
Although I photographed using Crossed Polars, the Crinoid specimen in not birefringent. I tried using Darkfield illumination to see if more details could be brought out.

post-18968-0-76562200-1441920762_thumb.jpg

Photo 2 (Top) shows the cross section using Crossed Polarized light at 4x magnification.
Photo 2 ((Bottom) I switched microscopes and inserted a 9mm Darkfield stop.

post-18968-0-68563600-1441920763_thumb.jpg

Photo 3 (Top) shows the trans section using Crosed Polarized light at 4x mag.
Photo 3 (Bottom) was photographed with the 9mm Darkfield stop inserted.

post-18968-0-29987400-1441920764_thumb.jpg

Photo 4 shows a small area of the trans section at 10x.
post-18968-0-72296800-1441920764_thumb.jpg
The Crinoid Stems were purchased from the Rock Shed.
Photo 5

post-18968-0-03908400-1441920765_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I am glad that you are showing us your work! It is a scientific discipline that, though aware of it, I have never explored.

Thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent!Eminent differences when using Darkfield.Thanks for sharing!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

Wonderful work, thanks for sharing!

You should try some crinoid stems from Arkona, they have a gorgeous symmetrical central cavity and superb preservation!

Some of the discs have a halo of stubby spines and a thin iridescent pyrite crystal coating; an image of these, without polishing, would be gorgeous.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Could you give a description of how you make the thin sections?

They are beautiful photographs.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

How I make thin section slides. Briefly.

The thin section process is destructive so I photograph the specimen. for reference.

The fossil is cut in thin, 2-3mm, slices using a wet tile saw.

One surface of the slice is ground flat by hand on a glass lapping plate using, 100, 320, 600 and 1200 grit silicon carbide paper.

The smooth flat side is bonded to a frosted petrology glass slide using Epoxy 300.

The slide is then fastened to a home made holder and ground on a wet flat lap machine using successively finer grit diamond discs.

The final grind and polish is done by hand on 1500 grit silicon carbide paper and 10,000 grit diamond paste.

The linked pages show an early version of my process.

Very informative; thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you very much for your excellent response.

The dedication involved in accomplishing your photographs

Is quite evident. I'm curious to know about thin sections of

Sediments like glauconite and silty marine clays with high salinity.

Are thin sections of unconsolidated sediments even performed?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I have not worked directly with clay, but have slides of Ledikite and some sandstones in a clay matrix.

I have played around with friable material. My method is to soak the specimen in Elmer's Glass glue. It is a thin liquid that permeates through the material and hardens crystal clear. Not adding any colour to the material. Creating a hard specimen I can cut and grind.

This is an image of Ledikite with the lambda plate in place.

post-18968-0-84997900-1448154119_thumb.jpg

I believe a clay in liquid suspension placed on a slide and "cured" could be a candidate for micro photography.

Clay varies in size from .1 to 50 microns. The ideal thickness for a thin section is 30 microns.

I did something similar with sand.

post-18968-0-23168400-1448154779_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-61363500-1448154779_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The same Crinoid stem, but a different microscope and camera.

These photos were taken with a Canon XS (1000D) and a Zeiss Stemi 305 edu stereo microscope with a DIY polarizer kit.

Photos 1-3 are thin section views of a transverse slice.

post-18968-0-63591400-1450120257_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-48106000-1450120273_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-76837900-1450120321_thumb.jpg

Photos 4-5 are a cross section view. Photo 5 has the Darkfield stop in place.

post-18968-0-65828700-1450120329_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-60784900-1450120338_thumb.jpg

Photos 6-7 are a close-up of the lower left corner. Photo 7 has the Darkfield stop in place.

post-18968-0-08528300-1450120346_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-39522600-1450120355_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That is fantastic. Is the coloration due to minerals?

It is hard to imagine not fracturing the specimen during polishing.

Are there polishing scratches visible or are they crystal growth?

Thanks again for posting.

The specimen is really and truly fractured. A thin slice is cut from the middle and ground and polished down to 40 microns.

The darkfield photos show some polihing scratches, but mainly the crystal structure.

The colours result from being viewed through crossed polarized filters. The intensity of the colours change as the specimen is rotated through 90 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Remarkable. Do you have a gallery of prints?

A bit of fossilized dinosaur bone, or a scrap of similarly-cellular armored fish from Arkona would be amazing to see.

Do you do custom work, or give talks on your work?

• 1 month later...

Beautiful! Congrats! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 months later...

I've never seen someone make thin sections out of crinoid stems before! I have access to thin section machines at my university... this is something I may try to do, considering I have a stem staring at me from across my desk... do you think the same thing could be done to a horn coral fossil? I have a few of those as well. Also, you're taking them down to 40 microns or 30 microns? What thickness would you recommend for best examination? (Sorry for all the questions, this thread has totally blown up my curiosity!)

Thank you all for the nice posts. It is appreciated.

I made some thin sections of horn coral in December 2015. Unfortunately, my equipment is not really capable of 30-40 micron thick sections.

My grinder is a standard jewelry 6" flat disc machine. I can get sections down to about 80-70 microns, then I finish them off by hand as best I can.

Ideally, 30-40 microns is the target for a polarizing microscope, but I have good results in the 90-50 micron range.

post-18968-0-88287700-1460647271_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-36973900-1460647282_thumb.jpg post-18968-0-35885200-1460647292_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the nice posts. It is appreciated.

I made some thin sections of horn coral in December 2015. Unfortunately, my equipment is not really capable of 30-40 micron thick sections.

My grinder is a standard jewelry 6" flat disc machine. I can get sections down to about 80-70 microns, then I finish them off by hand as best I can.

Thank you!!! I'm totally thrilled!!! I'll be sure to share anything I make!!!!