Proposing A Discard Pile Trade

Fossil Claw

On another thread someone mentioned they regularly leave behind a type of trilobite out west because they find so many of them. My first thought was, heck lots of us would love to have that discard pile.

It made me think what if we all keep the discard pile from a September hunt then put them up for trade with each other.

Since what is common in one place is hard to come by somewhere else we often leave behind fossils others would love to have.

Thoughts?

Edited by Fossil Claw

Another thought would be to auction them off for the benefit of the forum. Say a $5 all you can put in it box. Just a thought... :-)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

This is my discard pile from the fish quarry after just three days and I dug for two weeks. We know thousands of fish go over the edge of the quarry every year, but saving the discards is not practical. After trimming them up at home, the discards then go to the driveway.......watch for that picture in another thread.

I do sell my fish discards at the shows I do and call them "barrel fish." Usually just heads and tails.

Jim

Old Dead Things

post-1148-0-57768400-1441937333_thumb.jpg

I am liking Bev's idea, especially because some of us don't have a discard pile to trade, because we don't have the opportunity to collect things ourselves. (In quantity large enough for a discard pile at least)

This is my discard pile from the fish quarry after just three days and I dug for two weeks. We know thousands of fish go over the edge of the quarry every year, but saving the discards is not practical. After trimming them up at home, the discards then go to the driveway.......watch for that picture in another thread.

I do sell my fish discards at the shows I do and call them "barrel fish." Usually just heads and tails.

Jim

Old Dead Things

attachicon.gifDig site 2015 quarry.jpg

I'd love to buy some of your "Barrel Fish" discards.....is that a possibility?

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have thousands of discard pile (broken/worn/damaged) shark's teeth from the Cretaceous to Pliocene if anyone is interested. Not that I expect anyone to be :)

I'd be interested but I still haven't collected enough to have anything to trade (unless someone wants Colorado rocks and minerals), but if anyone is willing, I'll take their broken stuff ;)

The only thing I care is having ID or a chart for identifying them, so I can at least try.

Edited by IonRocks

I think Bev's Idea is brilliant. Too bad this idea didn't come up years ago. I do have lots of ammo material that im gunna toss someday.

RB

...I do have lots of ammo material that im gunna toss someday.

Let's make that day tomorrow! :) You need more room anyway.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Ok,, Just give me some time. Plus I have to learn how the Auction thing works.

RB

It seems simple... you post pics of the thing(s) you want to sell, state an end date and time, say a week later a la ebay, and a starting price. Then people post their bids, and winning bidder pays TFF by Paypal or whatever, then when they tell you they have received payment you ship the winning bidder the package. The hardest part is probably figuring out postage costs to any given location so you can include it in your starting bid price or at least state that winning bidder has to pay it to you separately from the final bid price that goes to the Forum (unless you're willing to offer to cover that cost yourself - maybe only domestic shipping).