Large, Heavy But Porous And Egg Shaped. Shape Indicates Concretion.

Raestelle

Back in the 1970's my dad found this in Balmoreah, TX. He was an avid arrowhead hunter and made a rock garden. I guess I just want to know for sure that it is a concretion and nothing else. It's very large at 10 1/2" x 6" and heavy yet porous (at least on the surface.). Also, he was at one time told that the Indians used these for rolling on hides.

post-19656-0-39624600-1442018016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raestelle

Hey-hi,

Welcome to the fossil forum!

It is not an "egg" of any kind. Nor would I call it a concretion. It looks like a basaltic lava that has been river tumbled. Used to call them "river potatoes".

It may have been used by prehistoric peoples, but there is no way to prove if it was or not.

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Back in the 1970's my dad found this in Balmoreah, TX. He was an avid arrowhead hunter and made a rock garden. I guess I just want to know for sure that it is a concretion and nothing else. It's very large at 10 1/2" x 6" and heavy yet porous (at least on the surface.). Also, he was at one time told that the Indians used these for rolling on hides.

attachicon.gifIMG_2632.JPG

I was just reading a book 'Stone by Stone' , author Liz Bryan, about archeological sites of the Plains Indians in western Canada. Yes, similar rocks were used. However, as mentioned, difficult to know if a particular rock had this function. Usually finding them at a kill site or habitation spot is the best evidence.

Thank you all so very much! I wonder what it would look like if I cut it open, if anything. My dad is a Texas history buff and he also loved arrowhead hunting. I spent every birthday initial my teens camping in the Grand Canyon. He has a collection of rocks that he use to display in his rock garden but over the years, some have disappeared. I'd like to post a couple of more that I think are a bit unusual and could possibly have been fossils.

• 9 months later...

i found one.....post a pic in a bit phones dead...also mine has line maks or sctraches imbedded into it....WWW something like that

Edited by firstintroublesr