Questions From An Aspiring Paleornithologist

DeeManG

Hi I'm thinking of becoming a Paleornithologist when I'm older, I've just got a few questions for any people in this profession on here:
I know the term 'paleornithologist' isn't actually a real title for a job, but something along the lines is what I mean. (Paleontologist that studies relationship between birds and dinosaurs.etc) Because I really love birds and dinosaurs and the evolutionary science behind the relationship.

1. With your work, how often do you go out an do field work/study? Eg. Capture birds and examine them?

2. How does a student studying ornithology/paleontology find themselves in a position like this?
3. How often do you get to work with theropod dinosaur fossils and paleontologists?
4. I know this is kind of a private question, and it doesn't have to be answered ; is your salary comfortable to live with? For example if you were to travel or raise a family?
5. How does an ornithologist get themselves 'higher in the ranks' when starting off?

Any answers are appreciated, Thanks! :)

Edited by DeeManG

I have been banding N. Am.raptors since 1973, something in the neighborhood of 8,500 banded and released to date. What we have learned from this is applicable to the study of migration habits and overall population fluctuations, but has not really added any understanding of prehistoric species per se. Placing them in the overall ecological context requires observational study of behavior and interaction, more than biometrics. Studying the biota of fossil Konservat-Lagerstätten is the best way to postulate the place and impact of ancient avians, and comparative anatomy of their preserved remains is the best way to work out evolutionary relationships.

A general background in biology, ecology, and geology is the foundation for more specialized study.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi I'm thinking of becoming a Paleornithologist when I'm older, I've just got a few questions for any people in this profession on here:

I know the term 'paleornithologist' isn't actually a real title for a job, but something along the lines is what I mean. (Paleontologist that studies relationship between birds and dinosaurs.etc) Because I really love birds and dinosaurs and the evolutionary science behind the relationship.

1. With your work, how often do you go out an do field work/study? Eg. Capture birds and examine them?[/size]2. How does a student studying ornithology/paleontology find themselves in a position like this?[/size]3. How often do you get to work with theropod dinosaur fossils and paleontologists?[/size]4. I know this is kind of a private question, and it doesn't have to be answered ; is your salary comfortable to live with? For example if you were to travel or raise a family?[/size]5. How does an ornithologist get themselves 'higher in the ranks' when starting off?

Any answers are appreciated, Thanks! :)[/size]

Firstly, most paleontologists are geologists. However, some who study vertebrates come from a biology/zoology background.

So...Need to go to Uni and get a science degree. Try and get involved in research projects.

Anyways, you should be involved in the area you are interested in. This is learning as much as you can through local birding groups, paleo societies, etc. Good to get outdoor skills in hiking, orienteering (if in Australia think Wolf Cubs, Scouting). The bottom line you need to have some enthusiasm. If a position opens in field research what can you, a student, offer?

As for a career. It would be in academia...less likely a museum. You wouldn't be filling a position but making your own. A geologist who specializes in paleo ornithology, etc.

Here in Alberta, Phil Currie is the guy who has extensively studied the theropod/bird link....he is primarily a predator dinosaur researcher who branched out into bird fossils. If you look at some of his studies (read the references in the papers)it may give a better idea of what is involved in the research.

Firstly, most paleontologists are geologists. However, some who study vertebrates come from a biology/zoology background.

So...Need to go to Uni and get a science degree. Try and get involved in research projects.

Anyways, you should be involved in the area you are interested in. This is learning as much as you can through local birding groups, paleo societies, etc. Good to get outdoor skills in hiking, orienteering (if in Australia think Wolf Cubs, Scouting). The bottom line you need to have some enthusiasm. If a position opens in field research what can you, a student, offer?

As for a career. It would be in academia...less likely a museum. You wouldn't be filling a position but making your own. A geologist who specializes in paleo ornithology, etc.

Here in Alberta, Phil Currie is the guy who has extensively studied the theropod/bird link....he is primarily a predator dinosaur researcher who branched out into bird fossils. If you look at some of his studies (read the references in the papers)it may give a better idea of what is involved in the research.

Thanks for the reply everyone!;

Phil Currie is one of my favourite paleontologists! I remember seeing him in Dinosaur documentaries when I was young :P

I love anything to do with the evolution of avian life. A reddit user told me that the fossil record side of this question is pretty much answered at this point. And that the biology side of things is still pretty wide open.

I love biology, as it is also my best school subject. So I'd mostly likely be studying Biology in University.

I'm aiming to get into the top Uni of my state, UNSW (University of New South Wales), but there is a Graduate Diploma of Ornithology at Charles Sturt University.

The description of an Ornithologist already mentions study of evolution, so I think under that I could find a way to branch off to theropod dinosaur study. If not, any advice?

Thanks! :)

Edited by DeeManG

DeeManG From what I have seen there are not that many jobs for palaeontologists in Australia so I would diversify to keep your options as varied as possible. Mesozoic birds and theropods are quite rare in Australia so this may mean moving overseas for work. The other thing would be what professor at the university has the best knowledge to assist when you do your thesis and masters. by all means start at the top university in the state but remember that needs to relate to your chosen field or fields. Networking is important. But what would I know I left school and became a Carpenter who now breads Australian finches and chases Mesozoic bird fossils as hobbies with limited success.

Mike

I read that an average salary is 106,000.

I don't know where you got that number, but it is most definitely not true. That is more like a top-end salary, and the real average is probably around half that, or less if you include all of the adjunct professors, preparators, etc. (Assuming you're using American dollars.)

Thanks for the reply everyone!;

Phil Currie is one of my favourite paleontologists! I remember seeing him in Dinosaur documentaries when I was young :P

I love anything to do with the evolution of avian life. A reddit user told me that the fossil record side of this question is pretty much answered at this point. And that the biology side of things is still pretty wide open.

I love biology, as it is also my best school subject. So I'd mostly likely be studying Biology in University.

I'm aiming to get into the top Uni of my state, UNSW (University of New South Wales), but there is a Graduate Diploma of Ornithology at Charles Sturt University.

The description of an Ornithologist already mentions study of evolution, so I think under that I could find a way to branch off to theropod dinosaur study. If not, any advice?

Thanks! :)

I am not a 'vertebrate' paleontologist but have been out with Phil a few times....,so don't underestimate this...get in good physical shape! Phil is about my age but can be out for hours roaming the coulees, going up and down hoodoos, etc. You want to be fit and strong. When I take groups into our mountains the very first criteria is that this paleo trek is for 'advanced' hikers. My first work was doing field studies in the High Arctic where we spent 8 weeks literally hiking all day where no human had been before. I still work out every day because otherwise I could not do the things we do.

Again, the way to open the door into a career is through related activities. Getting involved in local natural history, hiking groups. Seasonal work in parks in education presentations, etc. If there is field research going on somewhere then volunteer as 'a mule'. You will make connections. You want to be an asset ....the graduate student who can climb a tree to set up some remote camera, can take a stab at identifying an isolated bone, understands how to take good field notes. use a map, etc. I got my first field job because I was a Scout and knew outdoor skills and...because after 4 years of Latin could help our team leader with editing the taxonomy of a Treatise book he was involved with. Looking back it must have been weird sitting in a camp at midnight (sun never sets) applying correct spellings to some obscure family of brachiopods.

Edited by Ridgehiker