It's a phalanx,... maybe theropod?

LINK1

LINK2

Did you find this yourself?

Neat find.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Its 1.5 inches long 1 inch wide at the back .75 inch wide at the front. Wondering which Theropod it came from. If that is possible.

Yes I did find these myself I have a couple dig sites on my land. I have lots of teeth posted from them on general discussion Dinosaur Teeth. Thanks for your help!!

Let me start in saying that identifying isolated Toe bones and not easy since they are all similar in appearance. Going down to species level is even harder. A lot of what you see sold online IMO have questionable identifications.

So now that my disclaimer is out there :D my guess on your bone is that it's from an Ornithomimid Theropod possibly a Struthiomimus. Probably from Digit II and Phalanx 2. It's the toe bone next to the claw.

A photo of a Struthiomimus foot Digit II is attached

post-10935-0-86450800-1442343165_thumb.jpg

Edit : you should reduce the size of your images so more can be added to a page.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 7

Thanks so much for the help! That is sure what I could be, and that's the problem with people selling fossils its hard to know exactly what it is without actually having some of the body with it or more bone with it. Thanks again it is very interesting to learn about Dinosaurs.

That is sure what It could be, and that's the problem with people selling fossils its hard to know exactly what it is without actually having some of the body with it or more bone with it. Thanks again it is very interesting to learn about Dinosaurs.

Well the problem is also on the other foot, the buyers. People who spend their hard earned money want to know that the item they are buying is indeed what its described to be. Lots to learn by everyone.
  • I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, a piece of ceratopsian frill....a really nice piece.

Re the theropod phalange.  There's a fine line between the smallest Tyrannosaurid phalanges and the biggest Ornithomimid ones.  'In general' the Tyrannosaurid ones tend to be a bit blockier.  When I look at the the photo it looks tyrannosaurid but the dimensions you provide are more ornithomimid so Troodon is likely correct in his identification.

You are  fortunate to be collecting in the Judith River Formation. Lots of unknowns about the theropods so lots of potential discoveries.  Some good  reference are dinos from the Oldman and the lower Dinosaur Park Formations of Alberta rather than other Montana fossils from Hell Creek.  

Thanks guys! Was thinking it was either Frill or a Scute. Hope to find a bunch more when I keep digging!

These are scutes from the same age as Judith River deposits.  They are usually 'less chunky' than frill and more  roundish or oval.  

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2