North-Eastern Pa Plant Fossil?

Dianka

Hi again :)

Look at what my 6 year old son, a.k.a. fossil hunter ;) found around our PA vacation house! When my husband gently split it, it revealed even more imprints inside.

The third, smaller piece was found right next to the larger one.

What do you think it is?

post-12767-0-79411500-1442370189_thumb.jpg

post-12767-0-43456300-1442370215_thumb.jpg

post-12767-0-49675200-1442370994_thumb.jpg

post-12767-0-61546900-1442371017_thumb.jpg

These are definitely plant remains.

Thanks Paleoflor :) I'm just curious to find out what kind of plant it is...

Edited by Dianka

Hey Diana - good to see you here again. :)

I'm not sure there is enough detail to any of the pieces to narrow down to a genus or a species. :unsure:

I would personally label that "Plant Hash".

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Paleoflor :) I'm just curious to find out what kind of plant it is...

Well...

They are not fern fronds, not calamites stems (no nodes), not any kind of lycopod bark.

We cannot rule out the leaves of Cordaites, but there's just not a lot to go on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Diana - good to see you here again. :)

I'm not sure there is enough detail to any of the pieces to narrow down to a genus or a species. :unsure:

I would personally label that "Plant Hash".

Regards,

Thank you Tim! I'm happy to be back too!

Well...

They are not fern fronds, not calamites stems (no nodes), not any kind of lycopod bark.

We cannot rule out the leaves of Cordaites, but there's just not a lot to go on.

Thank you, Auspex! You know, before I made this post I did a little research online. i looked at some plant fossils pictures/diagrams etc. including this one here http://geology2.pitt.edu/GeoSites/cordaites.jpg and I thought my fossils may be the leaves of Cordaites too. So proud of myself :D

The topography of the plant fossils under consideration appears rough compared to what is typical for Cordaites leaf fossils, if you'd ask me. I'd say these rather are stem fragments of some sort. Like Tim said, quite difficult to identify further. Also, is the Carboniferous age certain? (I'm not familiar with the geology around your PA vacation house.)

Searching for green in the dark grey.

have seen roughly similar plant frags from Mississippian to Triassic in PA. A nearby town name would help to narrow it down.

have seen roughly similar plant frags from Mississippian to Triassic in PA. A nearby town name would help to narrow it down.

Hey Plax, interesting... The closest town is Hawley (Pike County). Thanks!

I believe that area has exposures of Upper Devonian age. Those look very similar to stem and branch parts I've found in the Catskills. As others have said, such pieces are nearly impossible to identify except to say they're pieces of trees.

I believe that area has exposures of Upper Devonian age. Those look very similar to stem and branch parts I've found in the Catskills. As others have said, such pieces are nearly impossible to identify except to say they're pieces of trees.

I see... thanks Jeffrey!