Foshunter

Was looking through boxes for an ammonite and found what I thought was a starfish arm but now not sure. This is an old find from the Sulphur R. Ozan Form. Any ideas, the back side is featureless and the front not much better

Tom

post-3940-0-17839600-1442512695_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The ribbing says Cephalopod, to me. Can we get a look at the larger broken end, inside?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

ii agree with him i also think its a Cephalopod :)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thanks, The ends are featureless, this seems to be a cast of what ever. ID will depend on features on the one side, if that is any help

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

the orthocone cephalopod that I know of in the Cretaceous is Baculites sp. Most others had died out by the late Triassic. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :-) . The chambers seem awfully close together?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

the orthocone cephalopod that I know of in the Cretaceous is Baculites sp. Most others had died out by the late Triassic. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :-) . The chambers seem awfully close together?

That's the only one I know too. I wonder what the Baculites' siphuncle looked like...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I also think in that family also.

Jeff

I thought they were pretty close, too. That's why I wanted to see if there was a siphuncle present.

Being a river find though, it could have washed in from somewhere else. Just a thought.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I thought they were pretty close, too. That's why I wanted to see if there was a siphuncle present.

Being a river find though, it could have washed in from somewhere else. Just a thought.

Where it was found was a portion of the river I called linestone falls. The area had an uplift of soft limestone and the piece was imbedded in it. That area has now been washed flat. I know there isn't much detail in the piece, this is the only one have collected or seen, it is a big?

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

I'll say belemnite phragmocone...It doesn't seem baculites, because we can't see the flower shaped suture lines.

Here is a litography of one:

post-18967-0-55477000-1442586882_thumb.png

Regards,

I'll say belemnite phragmocone...It doesn't seem baculites, because we can't see the flower shaped suture lines.

Here are a litography of one:

attachicon.gifBelemnite.png

Regards,

I believe you have solved the mystery, I am amazed that anyone could even ID this fossil from the lack of well defined detail. Found thes publication that shows Belemnite in the Cretaceous of Texas. Had to photo the monitor screen but information is decernable

Thanks again

Tom

post-3940-0-56502800-1442590945_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-46395200-1442590946_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

that looks like a pretty good fit.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You don't always see the sutures on bacs, if the outer shell is present or if you only have a living chamber. But I am troubled by the faint ribbing I see. I have seen no baculites or belemnites with that kind of ribbing - on Bacs usually the ornamentation is more widely-spaced and slanted/sinuous (a bit S-shaped), and belemnites are usually smooth, no? Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there are bacs or belemnites with that kind of ornamentation.

If there was a chance this was from the Penn. I would guess Conularia (or maybe an orthocone?). Otherwise I am stumped.

You don't always see the sutures on bacs, if the outer shell is present or if you only have a living chamber. But I am troubled by the faint ribbing I see. I have seen no baculites or belemnites with that kind of ribbing - on Bacs usually the ornamentation is more widely-spaced and slanted/sinuous (a bit S-shaped), and belemnites are usually smooth, no? Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there are bacs or belemnites with that kind of ornamentation.

If there was a chance this was from the Penn. I would guess Conularia (or maybe an orthocone?). Otherwise I am stumped.

That's not ribs, but growth lines, that are common in belemnites.

That's not ribs, but growth lines, that are common in belemnites.

Are you sure? They look 3-dimensional (the growth lines I've seen on belemnites have all been 2D).

Very interesting thread. I see a lot of possible variants. Hard to decide which one is the most appropriate for the best ID. For all that, is that possible to see a picture from the opposite side of the specimen?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very interesting thread. I see a lot of possible variants. Hard to decide which one is the most appropriate for the best ID. For all that, is that possible to see a picture from the opposite side of the specimen?

The side shown is the most detailed, other side has no detail remaining. Example is from the Texas Campanian Cretaceous Period

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

I know that it's from Upper Cretaceous,Tom, and my guess could be that it's a piece of heteromorph ammonite of the family Diplomoceratidae.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm also not convinced it's a belemnite and it definitely isn't a Baculites. All the belemnite casts I have ever seen tapered much quicker than that.the angle is just too small. Also never seen one that was flattened.

Are you 100% sure this is from the Sulfur River? It looks way more Paleozoic to me.

Archived