Ruzza12

Ramanessin Park.

Ruzza12

I was just wondering if fossil hunting is allowed in ramanessin park? I tried going last year but was told by the park keepers I wasnted allowed to fossil hunt there. Or is there a place on the stream that everyone goes to that's not on park property?

njfossilhunter

There is no collecting in Ramanessin park upstream from the bridge near Crawford Corner Rd by Holmdel High school ...But you can collect down stream from there....Here is a map showing the access area and a aerial photo too...You will come across walking paths and you will find spots along the path that you can use to enter the brook .And you go upstream from there. Good luck and remember to show us what you found,

post-2085-0-27261500-1442581723_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-61078400-1442581735_thumb.jpg

Edited by njfossilhunter

non-remanié

Holmdel Park grounds extend northward pretty much all the way along Ramanessin Brook from Ramanessin Greenway near rt. 520, where Tony shows on the maps. Collecting is technically forbidden on Holmdel Park land which is a part of the Monmouth County Park system, but rangers don't often enforce it in the areas just north/upstream of where Tony shows the parking access in the maps. I have talked to many different park rangers who have no problem with casual collecting walking the gravel bars in that vicinity, near Longstreet Farm and the horse park. But I know they dont want anyone digging or using screens and shovels in that area, since it is Monmouth County Park land. The safest area to collect is directly adjacent to the parking area in Tony's maps. But if you go past the any iron foot bridges along the stream, then youre on Holmdel Park grounds. That happens within ~1/4 mile upstream/north along the stream from the parking area Tony shows in his maps above. You will see small signs marking the park boundary. During hunting season, which starts soon, they definitely dont want any fossil collectors in the entirety of the Holmdel Park system.

NOTE: google maps calls Ramanessin Hop Brook in the below map. But you can see the trail is labelled Ramanessin trail, and it resides mostly within Holmdel Park land.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Holmdel+Park/@40.3498906,-74.1708123,15.75z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7d4b071762b8f8c6

Edited by non-remanié

njfossilhunter

I didn't know that using screens in the brook its self was prohibited in the park area...I thought it was only not aloud upstream from where the bridge near the High school is. Well I near use a screen up stream any way between Roberts Rd and Crawford Corner Rd...its a waste of time....I have aways found my best stuff laying right on the gravel bars..plus there are just to many big rocks up stream and very little fossils....That is why I rather go to Big Brook.. Question....if fossil collecting is prohibited in the park then why are there no signs stating that....I have never seen any in all the years I have been going there...

PS I should have posted a larger map to show the park boundaries.....My bad

Edited by njfossilhunter

non-remanié

I completely agree with screening in that area. Way too many large rocks and concretions, but there are many huge gravel bars to surface collect. But if you read any Monmouth County Park sign closely; of which, I believe, there are plenty in the Holmdel Park/Ramanessin trail area, especially during hunting season, it does state that there is no collecting. In fact, it goes even further, stating that you are not to disturb one rock from Monmouth County Park land.

And since 2006, Holmdel Twp. has had a local fossil collecting ordinance on the books, which is similar to the Colts Neck Big Brook Nature Preserve regulations. They were supposed to put up signs at Ramanessin Brook, but I have no idea why they never did. One of the stipulations included is that "no person shall harvest more than 6 fossil per day." We all know that no one, including public NJ university led trips adhere to that at Big Brook. I think the laws are basically on the book just in case of those caught committing egregious violations. Be discrete, listen and be respectful to the park rangers, dont be destructive, and the worst that will happen is that you will be asked to leave and collect somewhere else.

I didn't know that using screens in the brook its self was prohibited in the park area...I thought it was only not aloud upstream from where the bridge near the High school is. Well I near use a screen up stream any way between Roberts Rd and Crawford Corner Rd...its a waste of time....I have aways found my best stuff laying right on the gravel bars..plus there are just to many big rocks up stream and very little fossils....That is why I rather go to Big Brook.. Question....if fossil collecting is prohibited in the park then why are there no signs stating that....I have never seen any in all the years I have been going there...

PS I should have posted a larger map to show the park boundaries.....My bad

Edited by non-remanié

njfossilhunter

Ahhh....Well that explains it about what you said about the rules made in 2006. At that time I wasn't going to Ramanessin and in the begin of 2007 I moved up to north jersey and did very little fossil collecting in the brooks for a few years after that. Plus I did most of my collecting in Ramanessin between Crawfords Corner Rd and Roberts Rd anyway ,,its not part of the park....But those rocks and concretions ,,just to big.

Tony

Ruzza12

Thanks for the info guys. Will have to check it out soon. Is Ram brook a good place to hunt meaning is there anything there that I can't get from Big Brook? I have been hunting there for 2 seasons and have done well. Just stinks they closed off upstream of Boundary rd. There are now no fossil hunting signs under bridge.

njfossilhunter

Thanks for the info guys. Will have to check it out soon. Is Ram brook a good place to hunt meaning is there anything there that I can't get from Big Brook? I have been hunting there for 2 seasons and have done well. Just stinks they closed off upstream of Boundary rd. There are now no fossil hunting signs under bridge.

The thing about Ramanessin is that you tend to find the same things in Big Brook but not as much. Either brooks can produce just about anything...sometimes I find good stuff in both of them and sometimes not ...All you can do is try...I enjoy the brooks weather I find stuff or not.

Good luck

Tony

Ruzza12

Made trip out to ram brook had some good finds just scanning top ground and threw other people's throw aways.

Ruzza12

Some of my finds as well as some teeth.

post-19707-0-91623900-1442701526_thumb.jpg

post-19707-0-07422600-1442701543_thumb.jpg

post-19707-0-57362500-1442701558_thumb.jpg

MicroTooth

Not to resurrect an old topic, but I was in the area and thought I would try my luck at Ramanessin but when I drove by the area noted above with "Park Here" I was greeted by many signs telling me unauthorized parking was prohibited.  Further, there are Posted signs by the "Enter Here" section.  I did notice that some cars parked by the Posted signs so perhaps they aren't enforced.  Anyone been there recently that can shed some light?  I would hate to spend an hour or two to come back and find my car towed :).  Thanks!

Jeffrey P

Most people park either in the parking lot of the elementary school if it is on a weekend or in the summer or just off the road across from the school by the trailhead if it's during the week when school is on. Good luck.